Factorytalk view studio ME messaging file error

alanze

Whenever I try to create a runtime file, I get an error saying it is unable to compile the message file into the .mer. We use a message banner on all of our HMIs and I get this error for all 5 of our HMIs. I can download the runtime to the HMI and everything works except for the message banner.

We recently got a new laptop and transferred factorytalk view studio from the old laptop to the new. This problem didn't happen before so I'm wondering if there is something that did not get installed that I need? We are running version 8.20 of factorytalk.

Here is a picture of the error(if it attaches correctly)
http://i.imgur.com/QlPXKuJ.jpg

Last edited:
alanze said:
Whenever I try to create a runtime file, I get an error saying it is unable to compile the message file into the .mer. We use a message banner on all of our HMIs and I get this error for all 5 of our HMIs. I can download the runtime to the HMI and everything works except for the message banner.

We recently got a new laptop and transferred factorytalk view studio from the old laptop to the new. This problem didn't happen before so I'm wondering if there is something that did not get installed that I need? We are running version 8.20 of factorytalk...

Were you using any ActiveX controls in your HMI applications on the original machine, which may not be registered on the new machine?

Regards,
George

The .loc file shown on the error screen is the Local Message file. Verify your path to the file and that the file exist. As shown below.

local message file.PNG

Our messaging files are under information as opposed to local messages. I know the file exists but I'm unsure how to change the path to it in Factorytalk. Whenever I double click on the messaging file in Factorytalk I get an error that says "Unable to set process session user" and another that says " AOA: AOAInitialize failed".

As for the activex controls, I think we might be using them but I am not sure as I'm not the original program designer. I also don't have any experience using activex controls myself. Is there a way to find out if we're using them and register them on the new laptop?

Ignore that part about the file being under information. I was looking at the wrong program.

On the old laptop, when I open the message file in factorytalk it opens a list of different messages with their trigger values, but I can't open it on the new laptop.

Make a new message file on the new laptop. Copy the original Message file into Excel Just select all then Ctrl+C. Paste in excel. Copy Excel File, Then create new message file, select the first line and Ctrl+V

I get the same errors as before when I try to make a new message file. " Unable to set process session user" and " AOA: AOAInitialize failed"

Knowledge Base Article:

25452 - FactoryTalk View: Components in the Application Explorer tree fail to load and/or display properly

Access Level: TechConnect | Created: 09/05/2003 | Updated: 01/10/2018 |

This may be your issue.

Were you able to find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue after upgrading my AssetCentre Client software. I tried following the TechNote mentioned, but am unable to register the .dll file. I believe that is because the TechNote is for XP and I'm running Windows 10.

i am having the same issue. is there any fix?

My fix is not that answer you want to hear. I went several rounds with the Rockwell tech support and mine ended up being the 'rare' occurrence of a corrupted Windows .dll file (ActiveDS.dll). Rockwell had me uninstall/reinstall SEVERAL FactoryTalk software items but I continued having the same issue. The Rockwell tech told me that in their "internal tech support documents it says that if trying the previous steps don't work the only solution left is to reformat the harddrive and reinstall Windows". I tried everything I could to prevent that but that is what it ended up taking.

I know that the corruption was caused by installing a new version of FactoryTalk AssetCentre because the night before I was working serval HMI edits in FactoryTalk and I was able to create a runtime for two of them. Then after installing the new FTAC the next morning I was unable to create a runtime due to the error. So it definitely came down to a FTAC glitch (supposedly rare) that required a nuclear solution.

I wouldn't suggest that as your first troubleshoot though. I don't have all my notes from back then but I remember uninstalling/reinstalling being close to one of the first things I was asked to try.