S71500R/H MRP ring to S7400 DP Master Connection

raynvd

Hello, does anyone know the best connection method between an S71500R/H profinet MRP ring (2 x S7 1500R controllers in redundant profinet ring) and an S7400 DP Master ?

Add a PN CP to the S7-400 rack. There are other methods, but I would not go via DP if it can be avoided.
Apart from that, if the connection from the S7-1500R/H system has anything to do with redundancy or high availability, I recommend that you contact Siemens for advice.

He wrote that the S7-400 is a DP master.
If it can be avoided, I recommend to not make a system that is dependant on Profibus DP.

It would be nice if the OP described exactly what he needs to achieve, instead of posting such a relatively open ended question.

Thank you for your responses. The S7 400 is an existing installation configured by others using classic S7 and already has a DP connection. I am configuring the 2 redundant 1500 CPUs as new installations in MRP ring using TIA V16 so i need to maintain the profibus link up to my new installation where i connect to the profinet ring using an appropriate coverter/ proxy, which is what i am searching for.

Describe a bit more about the existing S7-400 and its existing DP system. "it already has a DP connection" tells me nothing.
Describe what the new connection between the existing S7-400 and the new S7-1500R system is supposed to achieve.

Describe a bit more about the existing S7-400 and its existing DP system. "it already has a DP connection" tells me nothing.
Describe what the new connection between the existing S7-400 and the new S7-1500R system is supposed to achieve.

RS485 connection from existing S7 400's CP that is a DP master. I will be transferring only 15 bytes of data cyclically both ways. I need to know a recommended converter that will act as a gateway from the DP master to the S7 1500 via its profinet S2 MRP ring.

RS485 connection from existing S7 400's CP that is a DP master. I will be transferring only 15 bytes of data cyclically both ways. I need to know a recommended converter that will act as a gateway from the DP master to the S7 1500 via its profinet S2 MRP ring.
You dont explain what you need to achieve.
So far we know it is a system with 2 S7-1500R/H controllers with MRP ring.
What is the relation of the single S7-400 to the redundant S7-1500R/H system ?
This is non-trivial.

Lare said:
Not sure if Siemens have PN / DP gateway for this.
Seriously ?!
Profibus and Profinet are absolutely central in Siemens product portfolie, the one being the previous fieldbus and the other the current fieldbus around which everything evolves.
The most obvious is to add a CP443-1 to the S7-400 rack. There are plenty other methods.
For a system with redundancy I would stick to an all Siemens solution without 3rd party products in between.

Seriously ?!
Profibus and Profinet are absolutely central in Siemens product portfolie, the one being the previous fieldbus and the other the current fieldbus around which everything evolves.
The most obvious is to add a CP443-1 to the S7-400 rack. There are plenty other methods.
For a system with redundancy I would stick to an all Siemens solution without 3rd party products in between.

Before the situation was that Siemens didn't have profibus to profinet converter or gateway.
They recomended 1200 CPU with profibus card between which sounds ridiculous. Last time when checked, didn't finded Siemens product for straight conversion between Profibus and profinet either from Siemens.

Surely you can add profinet port to 300 or 400 CPU or change whole CPU to profinet version, but then it would be advisable also add PN/PN coupler between different PLCs as 1500 is reduntant CPU.

(Customer didn't wanted either change old CPU to profinet version or add profinet port as they should have also buy another one for future spare to stock.)

Have used Helmholz and it have worked without any problems.

Maybe they didnt have before, but now they have a PN/DP coupler.
https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Product/6GK1411-5AB10
(they also used to have a model in S7-300 design).

Lare said:
They recomended 1200 CPU with profibus card between which sounds ridiculous.
Probably as the lowest cost solution.

I would stick to a Siemens exclusive solution. Only reason is that it will be easier to get support from Siemens if there is any problems on the redundant system.
Siemens have been known to not provide support if there are 3rd party devices.

Another thing is that by having a gateway between PN and DP, you add a layer between the two systems. Modifications and diagnostics is easier when you have a direct connection. That is why I recommend to add an ethernet CP in the S7-400 rack.

Nothing against Helmholz. Have used them and the quality is good.

Whit 6GK1411-5AB10 is that then possible that DP side PLC is master?
Manual screenshots shows that there is only DP slaves on DP side.

But then there is writing that 1411 can be IO device?

If it can be path from PC to 400 system for programming with PG from profinet side and also data can shared same time between PLCs, then it is better.

This was Siemens 1200 alternative years ago for communication.
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/101495058/s7-1200-als-pn-dp-gateway?dti=0&lc=en-KR

Last edited: