RedLion HMI entering comments

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

Is it possible to have an operator enter comments into event log files on CF, for a G315C? I have selected to "allow comments" and am trying to create something that would allow operator comments to be saved however, I am not having much luck accomplishing this.

Thank you

Hello all,

Is it possible to have an operator enter comments into event log files on CF, for a G315C? I have selected to "allow comments" and am trying to create something that would allow operator comments to be saved however, I am not having much luck accomplishing this.

Thank you

Have you tried using this function? It is supposed to be designed for this purpose. I could see setting up an Internal String Tag that the operator could type in and then adding a pushbutton that called this function replacing the TEXT part with the Internal Tag. If you click on the log and look in the upper right hand of the window it will say Log with a number after it. That is your Index.

My paste is from the Reference Manual - sorry for the formatting. I recommend opening the Reference Manual and Searching for LogComment - it looks better in the manual.

LOGCOMMENT(LOG, TEXT)
ARGUMENT TYPE DESCRIPTION
text cstring The textual comment to be added to the log.

DESCRIPTION
Adds a comment to a data log. The data log must be configured to support comments via the appropriate property. Comments can be used to provide batch or other details at the start of a log, or to allow the operator to mark a point of interest during the logging process.

My paste is from the Reference Manual - sorry for the formatting. I recommend opening the Reference Manual and Searching for LogComment .

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did look at the reference manual and am trying to make it work. You have given me something to consider, I will report back. 🤞🏻

I cannot get it to work however, I may be misunderstanding what this is supposed to do. I was assuming the operator enters their text, they accept their comment and it then creates an entry in the event log with a time/date stamp. When I use the LogComment() it creates anther data log page called "Security" and it shows there only when a change occurs. I wonder if this is how it is supposed to work? I have a question out to their tech support, for now.

I cannot get it to work however, I may be misunderstanding what this is supposed to do. I was assuming the operator enters their text, they accept their comment and it then creates an entry in the event log with a time/date stamp. When I use the LogComment() it creates anther data log page called "Security" and it shows there only when a change occurs. I wonder if this is how it is supposed to work? I have a question out to their tech support, for now.

I'm going to run a quick test.

I ran a test and it worked as expected.

Are you sure you set the index to the correct log file?

Are you sure you set the index to the correct log file?

Oh, very good point. I will check a little later, as time permits. Thank you much. When you run it, does it create another log file called "security". This is where I keep finding it, and I never set up any log file named security.

Oh, very good point. I will check a little later, as time permits. Thank you much. When you run it, does it create another log file called "security". This is where I keep finding it, and I never set up any log file named security.

When I run it in my test, it inserts a line in the correct log file - doing exactly what you wanted it to do. It doesn't create a new file.