PKTX Card installation on Win 2K

JPCompounds

We have recently upgraded a computer that was serving as a workstation and was connected to our DH+ network. That machine was running Win98 and was upgraded to Win 2K following a new server installation.

The card was running fine in the 98 machine but our final step of the upgrade was to reinstall all the necessary software including, RSLinx, RSLogix500 and RSLogix5. We are running 2 PLC5s and 2 SLC 5/04. I have a second laptop for troubleshooting but would like to get the workstation up and running.

I have tried installing the pktx2000 driver and haven't been able to get it to work. I've set up the driver in the driver config and it runs but there is an error on the rsi*.sys (not sure exactly the file name) initialization.

Is there something else I need to do?

I have done a search here for some information and found that getting these cards to run on 2k machines is not as easy as one would think. I've tried some of the previously suggested fixes but still running into trouble. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

From Allan Bradley knowledgebase

E18993 - UNABLE TO FIND FILE RSIKT.SYS (Can not configure the 1784-PKTX driver in RSLinx in Windows NT)

Last Modified: 06/14/2004
Previously Released as #12945

General Category: s Communications and Network Products
Product(s): Cables and Comm (1784)
Catalog #: 1784PKTX; 1784PKTXD
Series / Revision:
Symptoms (Keyphrases): configuration
Problem: You are trying to configure a 1784-PKTX(D) card in Windows NT, and you receive the error "UNABLE TO FIND FILE RSIKT.SYS." You can not configure the driver.
Cause: The Plug and Play OS setting is turned on in the BIOS, and RSLinx can not find the ID and channel of the card.
Verify:
Cure: When installing the 1784-PKTX(D) in Windows 2000 or XP, make sure that the Plug and Play OS is turned off in the BIOS. f the PnP OS is not turned off, you will not be able to configure the driver properly in RSLinx. If the PnP OS is turned on, when you go to configure the driver in RSLinx, you will not be able to get an ID & Channel to select for the driver.

Note: Make sure that the jumper is in the 32 bit position.

Thanks and new question?

Thanks for the reply. Did some searching on AB and found the article you referenced along with some other helpful information.

Turns out I was wrong the card in the computer is a KTX card on an ISA slot not a PKTX card.

I downloaded the utilities from the AB site and the diagnostic picked up my nodes on the DH+ network without problem but in RSLinx I am getting an error using the now correct KTX driver.

Is there a seperate driver I need to install for the KTX card in a Win 2K machine? This card was working properly in the Win 98 OS prior to the system upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Issues continue

Thanks for the reply Kim.

As it turns out I was using initially an older version of RSLinx but have since installed 2.20 and downloaded and installed version 2.42 but my bad luck continues.

I get the same error message. "the process map object cannot be created".

Checked the RA knowledge base and they detail instructions to try different resource assignments and using diagnostics to check card. Diagnostics are good. I can see all my nodes without problems without doing any changed to the resources.

Is changing the resources still recommended? Can you get a favorable diagnostic result and still have a conflict?

I will begin checking my resources today but was looking to see if anyone has any other ideas.

As a side note RA recommends that you use a PKTX card for windows 2000. Does that mean I can't use a KTX card because of all these issues or that it is just a lot more difficult to do as evidence by the trouble I am having?

Thanks

The good news is that you don't have to chase down bus speed or voltage problems because you are using the same computer. Any ISA card is difficult to set up in any operating system; that's the reason PCI was developed ! The KT and KTX cards are old enough that they can't keep up with fast ISA buses in many Pentium II or newer PC's.

RSLinx is the only "driver" you need for the 1784-KTX; there is no separate driver like there is for plug-and-play devices.

It is possible for the card to pass diagnostics but still encounter a driver problem. Two instances I have seen are when the RSLinx driver is set for KT instead of KTX(D), and when a Wonderware or Citect DH+ hardware driver is trying to access the same card.

You might also poke around your computer's BIOS settings to see if there is Shadow RAM or some other setting in the memory range that the KTX wants to use.

That's my two cents.