Adding v23 to existing Studio 5000

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

We have three different versions of RS5000 PLCs installed here at the plant. Versions 20, 23, and 24.

I was able to install V20 and V24 with no problems, and downloaded the V23 version from Rockwell, but shortly after starting the install, the installer reports that it has found a newer version and quits. This is using the download where I select version 23.

Installing from the "main" copy only installs version 24.

We received our copy via a direct download, and not off of a DVD, and I have downloaded the copies from the Rockwell site, so I would think that I'm good.

Anyone know how to get this to work?

Thanks!

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with v23, we skipped that version. I know this doesn't directly solve your problem, but do you have the ability to use virtual machines? Maybe this will be a good opportunity.

I think v23 has some relationship with the whole 20.03 and 21.03 thing. It has a warning before downloading it. Check out KB 615554.

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with v23, we skipped that version. I know this doesn't directly solve your problem, but do you have the ability to use virtual machines? Maybe this will be a good opportunity.

I think v23 has some relationship with the whole 20.03 and 21.03 thing. It has a warning before downloading it. Check out KB 615554.

Yeah, I've talked with IT about using a VM and they say go for it. I suppose that I could scare up a copy of XP somewhere. They really don't want to see a VM on their network though...

The other option is to flash the PLC up to the V24 version. Which is probably the best long-term solution.

Thanks!

v23 was rushed out to address the v21.01/v21.03 incompatibility issue. v23 is basically identical to v21, except without the minor revision incompatibility. Rockwell's solution to the v21 issue was to abandon it and just tell everyone to update firmware and software to v23 :confused:

Side note: v22 never saw the light of day.

Is it worth trying uninstalling v24 re-try v23, and then re-install v24 afterward? I typically always install in version order and generally don't have any problems.

v23 was rushed out to address the v21.01/v21.03 incompatibility issue. v23 is basically identical to v21, except without the minor revision incompatibility. Rockwell's solution to the v21 issue was to abandon it and just tell everyone to update firmware and software to v23 :confused:

Is it worth trying uninstalling v24 re-try v23, and then re-install v24 afterward? I typically always install in version order and generally don't have any problems.

I see. So v23 was the equivalent to 20.04. Consistency.

Yeah. Because why fix it properly when you can just make even more of a mess and call it fixed?

Yeah, I had found the discussions about the versions, and the version jump over 22, but not how to downgrade.

I had been toying with you idea of yanking 24 and installing 23 myself. Maybe it's time to try that.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had found the discussions about the versions, and the version jump over 22, but not how to downgrade.

I had been toying with you idea of yanking 24 and installing 23 myself. Maybe it's time to try that.

Thanks!

That did it! WooHoo!

Although, during the install of V24 after removing V27 and then installing V23, I got the same(?) message that I was trying to install an older version. I hit the okay button and it continued on with the installation and finished it just fine.

Nice to know what $8K per seat buys you. Whatever...

Thanks to everyone!

Glad you got it working. A quick FYI: if you ever get up to v30, read the release notes before installing. The long and short of it is, once you install v30, certain earlier versions will no longer be possible to install. In addition, if you install it on a 32-bit machine, certain earlier versions will completely stop working, unless you follow some hack workaround do disable the startup screen. Fun times!

Glad you got it working. A quick FYI: if you ever get up to v30, read the release notes before installing. The long and short of it is, once you install v30, certain earlier versions will no longer be possible to install. In addition, if you install it on a 32-bit machine, certain earlier versions will completely stop working, unless you follow some hack workaround do disable the startup screen. Fun times!

That's really good to know! Within a year of each other, we jumped from v23 to v28 on a couple of newer machines. I'd hate to find this out the hard way. Thanks for the info!