Dcs

Don Diego

Hi

I want to know from our resource persons ,the type of DCS system that is very common in large industry.

Yokogawa
ABB
Alan Bradley
?

I think Honeywell, ABB and Emerson are the largest ones globally. Also the largest most complete DCS systems.

Siemens might be common too but more low end, second tier player among DCS systems. Large among PLCs however.

Last edited:
I think Honeywell, ABB and Emerson are the largest ones globally. Also the largest most complete DCS systems.

Siemens might be common too but more low end, second tier player among DCS systems. Large among PLCs however.

Having worked on Siemens PCS7, I do get the feeling that it is just an add on to Step7 V5.5 and that's it.

Does your comment reflect on the functionality and scalability of the systems (from Emerson, etc...) or with the size of the processes they control?

Hi

I want to know from our resource persons ,the type of DCS system that is very common in large industry.

Yokogawa
ABB
Alan Bradley
?
Nobody who has made the huge financial commitment to be in the DCS business will survive if they make junk, so they are all pretty good. So more important that simple brand names is support, and support locally available to you in a small country like Ghana is, I would think, even more critical. Someone here may consider Emerson Delta V or Foxboro to be "the best", but if you have to call someone in, let's say, South Africa every time you need help, but there is an ABB office in Ghana, that would make ABB far superior in my book.

There's one advantage that people like AB and Siemens have in their DCS versions. The hardware they use for I/O is exactly the same as used in their PLCs, it's the processors and software that make it a DCS. So if you are already using AB or Siemens PLCs, you already have most of the hardware you need and your technicians are already familiar with it.

Having worked on Siemens PCS7, I do get the feeling that it is just an add on to Step7 V5.5 and that's it.

Does your comment reflect on the functionality and scalability of the systems (from Emerson, etc...) or with the size of the processes they control?

Both I guess. I have worked with industries like pulp and paper, gas and chemical, mining and metals and heavy manufacturing industries.

My experience is mostly with Honeywell but the only systems I ever heard was even considered at that level was ABB and Emerson. They scale to whatever you need and can do whatever you need done. No limitations as long as you have the $$$$.

A lot of PLCs exists too in these industries but they are often relegated to smaller jobs and not process control. Usually PLCs are connected to the DCS systems and are controlled from the DCS.

Besides the hardware and software large DCS suppliers also have engineering departments that do a lot of the work configuring and programming as well as service and upgrades.

Last edited: