Virtual machine setup

plutonium

Hi forum,

recently I got brand new laptop dedicated for PLC programming. As I saw on the forum you recommend using of virtual machines and I listened it. Now I have an issue with it. Cursor response is very slow and graphics is not so good. I shared 12GB RAM and complete CPU, but cant find is it possible to share graphics card?

Also, please give me you recommendations about VM settings.

Thanks!

Hi forum,

recently I got brand new laptop dedicated for PLC programming. As I saw on the forum you recommend using of virtual machines and I listened it. Now I have an issue with it. Cursor response is very slow and graphics is not so good. I shared 12GB RAM and complete CPU, but cant find is it possible to share graphics card?

Also, please give me you recommendations about VM settings.

Thanks!

Which VM host are you using ?

What have you got the machine set have for RAM at the moment ?

In the Settings / General / Advanced you can set whether you want to be able to Copy/Paste or Drag between the VM and your main system. If you are working with a PLC that uses the Ethernet port to communicate you will probably want to set the Network to Bridged Adaptor, that way the VM gets an IP address on the same subnet as the host. Shared Folders are how you can get access to data on your main Hard Drive from inside the VM.

What are you using as your guest operating system? I generally allocate 1 - 2 cores and about 4GB for my guest if it is a 32bit OS, and about 8GB for a 64bit OS. You basically want to allocate enough, that you don't starve the host OS of resources to do basic task.

Also make sure your BIOS has virtual extensions enabled. Most systems have I seen have this disabled from the factory.

Also I suggest installing your VMs on your fastest hard drive, preferably a solid state.

Also Oracle VM does not support video hardware acceleration very well. The 3D support is limited and will sometimes create visual artifacts on the screen during screen refreshes.
Windows Aero themes and such don't work very well.

Last edited:
If your laptop has multiple network interfaces (e.g. physical Ethernet port and Wi-fi), then I suggest making multiple virtual network adapters for each network interface and manually bridging your individual VM's to the network interface you want them to use. That way you can, for example, have one VM connected to a local PLC test bench via physical port and have another VM bridged to your Wi-fi for VPN remote access to a client system at the same time.

Yes, PC is total 16GB.

Agree. Windows Classic here.

The problem I have with Windows Classic is some graphics do not work??
As an example...The Resource Monitor will not display correctly.
Check it out......TaskManager>Performance>Resource Monitor.

That is why I use Windows Basic.

Works fine here.

78bbd02bd8624d91b99c487fe06e7593.png