How to Read AB Long-words (L File)?

PLCSam

Can anyone help me find documentation for doing a typed logical read for a LONG WORD FILE. On page 7-17 of publication 1770-6.5.16 - October 1996 (DF1 Protocol and Command Set), the protocols for a logical read of several devices are listed (S, B, T , C, N, etc.), but the device name (L) for a long word is not listed. Has some one been able to read a Long Word? If so, what is the protocol? Thanks.

L-file read

That old DF1 manual never was updated to handle even the common SLC-500 word read commands, let alone the MicroLogix 1200/1500 specific "L" data type.

I have a DF1 technote kicking around my desk that has some more recent info about SLC's and DF1 in it. I'll look tomorrow.

I guess you could also put a protocol analyzer on the line and work backwards.

DF1 Technote?!

Thank you, Ken, for the information. It may just come down to having to do this but I would still need the documentation as a reference, if it exists... I would appreciate it if you could get me this information or direct me to where I can get it. I have scoured the AB site for this with no luck. Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Aha, found it.

Use the ordinary protected typed logical read/write instructions with three address fields.

"L" files are file type 0x91. Add that to the list of File types on page 7-17 of your DF1 Reference Manual !

Wow! That worked. Thanks again. Any idea why the L file was excluded from the list of devices on page 7-17? Seems a little strange to me. Any thoughts???

You've helped heaps. Would it be too much to ask for the document number of that technote or where I can find it? I need this for my documentation.

thanks.