Considerations for migrating to Ignition SCADA

what are they planning?
I wrote this question to IA Support last friday:

Hi

The Mobile Module mirrors a Java Client via an HTML5 Canvas element. I would prefer a native HTML5 client, similar to GE Web HMI, SIMATIC WinCC/WebUX and OAS WEB HMI. Do you plan to develop such a client?

Best regards
Daniel

And got this answer:

Daniel,

This is in the works for the next release of Ignition. If you are versed in web development, we do have Web Dev module that can be used and you can create your own.

Greg Simpson
Inductive Automation
Support Services Engineer - Manager
1-800-266-7798

Sounds very promising!

For those of you that missed ICC last month, Ignition 8 will be released at the ARC Industry Forum in Orlando the week of February 4th, 2019.

Lots of cool technologies including the Perspective module, which is pure HTML 5/CSS 3 - no client side Java. Info here:

https://www.automationworld.com/art...nductive-automation-readies-major-new-release
https://inductiveautomation.com/ignition/whatsnew

You can play with a publicly available web demo at: http://demo.inductiveautomation.com/

One of the coolest features to me - open it in a web browser and resize the width of the window. You'll see the layout dynamically change. You can design a different feel for large screen displays versus tablets versus smart phones.

or try out the native apps under "Perspective" in the Apple and Play store, which allow hooks into devices, such as using the camera as a bar code reader, accessing GPS on the phone, etc.

I recently upgraded an RSView32 batching system to FTSE with FTTM. What a pain in the a @@ FTTM is compared to Transaction Groups in Ignition.
Where Ignition excels is in getting data into and out of databases.

Based on the attendance at this year's ICC in Folsom CA, finding an integrator that knows Ignition should be simple:

https://inductiveautomation.com/integrators/find

The mobile module is an issue, but it has been slightly improved to allow VNC connections. This is a better interface, but the resource to host the VNC is still at the Gateway.

V8.0 release will resolve the mobile module issues ( sometime in 2017 )

Installation is quick and simple, and adding another client is simple as providing a device that has a web browser, Java and can ping the Gateway .

I wrote this question to IA Support last friday:

And got this answer:

Sounds very promising!

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I used web dev like they said.

Last edited:
In Ignition: Seriously play with developing templates, and planning out your tag structure.

I have made templates of almost every element I ever designed/used on a screen in FTView, including some complex ones for machine sections. I also have them for smaller pieces like MOP popup setpoint displays, alarm indicators, IO Status indicators, etc...

All I have to do to put a status/control panel on any display now is drop my global template onto a screen, and type the base path to the tag group it references.

You WILL have to get a bit comfortable with python and java scripting, but it isn't all that bad, and once you encapsulate the difficult functionality in a template, it is done forever. That, and Ignition support and the support on their forums is incredible. Nothing like Rockwell who usually says "Reinstall", "Wait for the next release", "That will be $30,000".

In Ignition: Seriously play with developing templates, and planning out your tag structure.

All I have to do to put a status/control panel on any display now is drop my global template onto a screen, and type the base path to the tag group it references.

This is a major one. The UDT tag drop linking to a template is fantastic. I have some energy meters that I want put in a SCADA system and was showing this to a colleague of mine and he was speechless.