Just upgraded 1769-L32E firmware from 16 to 20 and lost OPC connection?

dev67

Not super familiar with OPC servers and how they scrape tag data. But the current system uses an old Kepware software package called KepServerE v4. Is there a way to reconnect that OPC with my PLC v20? I've been pouring through documentation and I don't see anything referring to PLC firmware versions. Also on Kepware's website it is apparent that this software package is well past end of life and is not supported by the company anymore.

Is there a chance this is salvageable with our existing OPC software or did Rockwell change something very fundamental about how it shares tag values with OPC between version 16 and 20?

Solved! Learned from a redditor that there was indeed a fundamental change in how AB served up tags to OPC in the middle of version 20 somewhere. Downgraded from 20.19 to 20.11 and all legacy HMIs and OPCs were working just like they did before when it was running version 16. And with version 20 I can actually import routines and skip slogging through manual re-writing of 50+ custom UDTs. Thank. God.

Thanks for posting that update !

I know about the major changes with v21, which broke quite a few third-party comms drivers, but Kepware has always been the most stable and least susceptible to changes and I would not have expected a change in a v20 minor revision.

That is insane. I would like a link to that reddit please.

Nevermind I found it.

Last edited: