Kinetix 300 CIP messaging from Micrologix 1400

poj101

Hi all,

I am developing an application at the minute using a Kinetix 300 and a Micrologix 1400. The servo must follow a shaft on an existing machine, I am setting up a Sick quad encoder and coupling it to the shaft. The encoder is wired directly into the drive inputs. The user will be able to adjust the gearing ratio using a PanelView 600, wired back to a Micrologix 1400.

Can I use the 4 ethernet output assemblies to reduce programming using the Micrologix? I.e. use one to configure master gearing, another to set the ratio(s)? (The only functionality required from the HMI is to change the ratio).

I have used them before with rslogix 5000, a bit easier with the AOI. Has anyone experience with ethernet CIP messaging with Micrologix? ( I am currently waiting delivery on the motor so haven't had a chance to test it out)

Can the drive be configured to master gearing and also be controlled by CIP messaging to change parameters while running?

Yes, you still have access to the 4 user definable variables.
I am not certain if you can change the configuration for master gearing dynamically. It might require the enable signal to be brought low first.
I am fairly certain you can change the ratio dynamically, but not positive.

Thanks Damian,
Motor arrived this morning. I set up a simple messaging program using 2 lines of code and was able to change the gear ratio dynamically from the HMI. So far so good

assistance needed

Thanks Damian,
Motor arrived this morning. I set up a simple messaging program using 2 lines of code and was able to change the gear ratio dynamically from the HMI. So far so good

hey,
I am having almost the same requirement ie of running the servo on slave gearing whereas the master would be an encoder coupled to a shaft. I have kinetix 300 and plc micrologix 1400. can you guide me on how you accomplished this. currently i am running the setup on indexing mode but i am not able to get much accuracy.

Just to put it out their, if you go on the AB's website and go to the sample code library and do a search for Kinetix 300 their is a sample code for an indexing application, although it may not be the same functionality that you desire, the preliminary programming on power up, writing and reading data i think is nice, check it out if you have time.

@poj101, i took a look at your program, in the faults routine you have both the B15:0/0 bit and B15:0/1 bit as (OTL) in the event that the preceding conditions go true then false those two bits will stay latched on even on a power cycle, and i can't find anywhere else in the program where they get unlatched, unless you are doing the unlatching from the HMI. You may want to use an OTE instead of an OTL instead if you are not using a unlatch functionality from the HMI.

Also you have a routine called MAIN CTRL, LAD 14, which is not being called anywhere in your program, just wanted to point those out unless of course your not using that routine

Hi dbh6,

Just had a look at the program again. The FLL instruction unlatches the flags by filling the register with 0's.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my gearing program, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me. The program has been running for a few months now and has recently generated a code:

Error code (in upper byte of MGx:y.22) was returned by comms module or CIP device.

Error code (Hex): e0

Message Timeout: 33

The message faults every time I reset the error, it looks like there is an issue with the messaging out to the drive. Are there any additional settings I may have missed when setting up the comms to the device? Has anyone had an issue like this before?