Message SLC 505 to SLC 504 via DHRIO

lenny1587

Here is the situation. An SLC 505 and CLX chassis are on the same ethernet network. The CLX chassis has a DHRIO card the is used for communication between SLC 504 processors, and for the 504's to communicate with RSView 32. This is the sole purpose for the CLX chassis.

I am looking to message a SLC 505 to a SLC 504 via a DHRIO card located in CLX chassis. Is this possible? I can not message the 505 to the CLX processor because the CLX processor has lost it's memory... battery died. The company I work for doesn't have the most up to date copy of the program on file, and when I try to upload with the CLX, it only shows the other I/O cards that are located in the chassis, not the ENBT nor the DHRIO. When I look at the CLX chassis in RSLinx, I can see all of the cards there. Due to the fear of shutting down or losing the configuration of the DHRIO and or ENBT, I am reluctant to try to create a new program with the correct chassis configuration and download it to the CLX processor.

Any takers???

1756 series network modules hold their configurations inside the module's flash memory, not in a ControlLogix CPU.

The 1756-ENBT has its IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server information stored onboard. You can read all of this information with RSLinx Classic.

The 1756-DHRIO module has its node numbers and channel mode (DH+ vs. RIO) configured with rotary switches.

The 1756-DHRIO also has a Routing Table saved in its flash memory. This is what you don't want to lose. You can upload it using RSLinx Classic software, and I strongly recommend printing out screenshots of it.

Your first question was "can I message from an SLC-5/05 to an SLC-5/04 using a 1756 chassis as a bridge".

The answer is yes ! That was the original purpose of these chassis with their Ethernet and DH+ modules, before the ControlLogix CPUs were even released in 1997-1998.

But it's not easy. You need to configure the Routing Table in the 1756-DHRIO so that it knows the path from one device to another through the 1756 backplane.

And you have to configure the devices that are connected to the various networks so that their Link ID values are compatible with what's been set up inside the 1756-DHRIO.

In the RA Knowledgebase, an example document that shows how each of these devices is set up is stored as RA Knowledgebase Article ID 19860. A TechConnect contract is neccessary to access that document.