Old laptop

I shared this story on another forum but it's worth repeating for a laugh.

I was called by a company that has a 30 year old machine with a Toshiba plc controlling it. The machine would not run.

Pre-armed with this info, I put one of my old laptops that had the Toshiba software on it in the car.
This machine was holding up production so quite a few operatives had nothing to do. They gathered around when I plugged into the plc.
My laptop booted up with the Windows XP logo and quite a few laughed.

The comments started;
You do know there is Windows 7 and 10 out now (big laugh)
I decided to play dumb - then it was fun for me. A puzzled look from me confirmed I didn't know.
Oh look, it's got a floppy disk slot.
A few asked the knowledgeable operative what floppy disks were.
They were used in the olden days.
Has it got wifi?
Me; wifi???
I bet he's only just updated from Windows 98 (more laughter)
Meanwhile I had connected and saw an output on that was blown and moved the wire to a spare and added the output to the failed one.
Is that laptop powered by steam? Guffaws
No, battery.

I disconnected, shut down and put the laptop in its bag and started to walk away.
Can't you fix it?
Me; you can try it.

Of course I heard it start as I left and I secretly peeped to make sure it was away.

Last edited:
Haha this story is very good. But I don't believe this happens in real life. Most of the operators here know that the machines are so old, but they don't laugh at me for using windows xp or even a floppy disk, lol.