Electric Chair

The ballast is purely there to provide the high voltage necesary to ionise the gas in the Fluro.
So please do not use the ballast, at all, in the 'Camp Fire, control I suggested.

Just watching the news re - the Hurricane - I hope you and your families are OK - I do understand USA is a big country - but thinking of those in that area.

So please do not use the ballast, at all, in the 'Camp Fire, control I suggested.
That is what I was asking: how you build a fake campfire. I already know about how fluorescent lamps work (graduate of the GE Lighting Design school). Now if I understand, you are saying use a preheat fluorescent light starter device wired to an incandescent bulb, not a fluorescent lamp.

The voltage, being 120 V is no different. at the end of the day it dont use the starter after the light is on.
Yes, the starter works the same way, but physically 120 volts cannot ionize fluorescent gas directly, but 240 volts can. Some ballasts do not need the voltage step-up, but do need the starter.

Last edited:
Add an industrial electric bin vibrator on the under side of the chair to add a little extra tingle! An alternative is a large hand-held body massager for chair. Screw the vibrator to the chair bottom with hidden metal straps or bands, and use your PLC to turn on the 120 volt vibrator power when your seat switch is triggered.

Your chair is wooden like all the old electric chairs, right? If you strapped a 120 volt vibrator to a metal chair, a short circuit could cause it to become a real electric chair.
Is it chargeable??