AB SLC5/04 and HSC Module

ArtR

I have an AB SLC 5/04 and in slot 1, the 1746-HSCE counter module. Connected to the card is single encoder. How do I count pulses and scale into inches of travel?

The 1746-HSCE is... tricky to set up. Start by getting out a user manual and reading about its various functional modes (Range, Rate, and Sequencer).

Do you have a quadrature encoder with two channels, or just a single-channel pulse indicator ?

The module is very good at firing its onboard outputs when a specific count is reached. It's less good as a "position input".

Hi Ken,
It s a typical rotatory quadrature encoder. In application, I am rewriting ladder logic for this slc5/04 as it had been lost due to battery failure. The rotary encoder is part of a rack and pinion system measuring position of a ram.

[(Counts / Encoder PPR) / Reduction Gear Ratio] X Rack Pitch if the encoder is mounted on the motor; the Rack Pitch is the distance between two consecutive Rack teeth measured at the center axis of the tooth.

If mounted on the Bullgear shaft remove the gearbox ratio from the above formula.

Last edited: