ControlNet & Controllogic to GV3000/SE Drives

WebRanger

I need to read Drive status from 10 GV3000/SE drives. I am using ControlLogix processor @ V13.31 and the path is via ControlNet. I see plenty on MSG examples to perform various reads but nothing yet on how to configure the MSG Control Block for these devices.

Any comments will be appreciated?

Speaking of GC3000/SE drives on a ControlNet, I am also experiencing very intermittent NCL errors on my drives but RSLinx shows no errors occuring and the Station Diags for all the nodes contain zeros in the error entries. 5 of 10 drives fail, always the same 5 and at exactly the same instant?

Any diagnostic suggestions?

Excellent !

I had a peek at the D2-3390-1 manual and found Chapter 5 has a list of File N10:x registers (and N11 and N12) that correspond to drive parameters.

The drive apparently emulates a PLC-5C15 controller, so you can send a PLC-5 type message over ControlNet from the Logix controller to the drive.

Check the samplecode.rockwellautomation.com site for an example of how to use GSV instructions to monitor the I/O connections on the Logix side. If you can catch an I/O connection breaking and re-establishing, you can concentrate on the whole network. If there's no change in the Logix side of the connection, you have to focus on the drive-to-network interface.

Thank you for the "pointers" Ken.
I was trying to decide what to configure the read as; I will go with a PLC5 Typed Read. I am interested in the N11 data because none of it is returned. Parts of the N10 data are included with the configured Module-Defined Data type.

I like the idea of the GSV monitoring the I/O and I downloaded the sample code you suggested. Now I need to find time when our process is down for maint to test and implement these suggestions.

I appreciate the time you take to provide answers and guidance.

It will be a week or more before I get an opportunity to try any of this but I will be better prepared.

Oh the joy of working in a target rich enviornment....