FactoryTalk View Studio -Shortcut problems after Creating Runtime Application

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I am doing a machine modification for a customer and it has a older Panelview Plus on it. I am using 2 shortcuts , one from a Micrologix 1500 (serial) , and another for a Ethernet Compactlogix It is a older RS View Studio application . I did run the FactoryTalk View legacy migration tool , and the application opens up well. The Design and Runtime in the communication setup , has these 2 shortcuts. When I do a "Create Runtime Application" , and after it creates it , I get this "Statement".......

*** Start RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***

WARNING: Unconfigured shortcut detected. Shortcut name = "1348_Moulder". Description: The system has detected that the noted shortcut has not been associated with a device on the Runtime (Target) tab. If the application makes use of this shortcut, then runtime errors will be detected and logged when the application attempts to use that shortcut.

WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "Ethernet Shortcut". Device name = "Interbake_Line_4_1348_Molder". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device.

*** End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***

Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would cause this ?

Thanks so much in advance,

The first one basically means that the shortcuts have been configured - as you can see - but not pointed to a valid device. At least, not on the runtime tab. You need to make sure that the shortcuts are applied to your PLC's in the communications Design setup, and then click the copy from design to runtime button.

The second one means something similar - except the issue is not that it's pointed to nothing so much as it's pointing to something that's not what FTView considers a valid device. Hopefully the same procedure as above will solve this one too.

Thanks ASF ,

I reworked some shortcuts a little. Below is the statement I am now getting.
It seems like a version problem now with the EtherNet shortcut.

*** Start RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***

WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "Ethernet Shortcut". Device name = "Interbake_Line_4_1348_Molder". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device.

*** End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***

Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.

Yep - I'd say you're right.

It' will depend on the firmware in the PVP as to whether it will work or not. Basically, each firmware revision of the PVP "knows about" any PLC and/or PLC firmware revision that already existed when the PVP firmware was released (more or less). What the warning is now saying, is that the PLC you have pointed to in your shortcut is defined as either being a PLC that this particular version of PVP firmware doesn't know about, or having a (PLC) firmware revision that this particular version of PVP firmware doesn't know about. I think (and the error message seems to back me up on this) that you can run patches on an older firmware revision to add support for these newer PLCs/PLC firmwares - if that has been done then you won't have a problem. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything useful about how to patch the PVP.

For my money's worth, I'd give it a shot and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'd flash the firmware in the PVP, assuming you have that option open to you. If neither of those work, you'll have to go deeper.

Good luck!