advise on machine motor postioning.

2004sk4

Plc- allen bradley 5/05
Inverter- Yaskawa j7
motor- baldor 1hp 3450rpm 56c

Application
I am needing to stop sergers in the needle up position. The sergers in the run mode are turning up to 3200 rpm max. I was planning on notching the pulley and using a high freuency prox The sergers are needle up for about 15 degrees of the overall rotation.

As the machine ramps down for a normal stop the plc will make sure that a prox signal is being picked up. If the prox is picking up the proper readings.(prox not broke) then the machine will start the needle up prcedure. Once stopped the machine will revese (to prevent missing ends or broken parts) until the prox is made. The machine will run at a much lower rpm. The time for a full rotation at this speed will also be checked and time out the sequence if a full rotation was made and for some reason the prox was not found. This machine has light curtains so there will be no operator interfence.

The machine has 2 sergers so the program will have to be duplicated for both sides.

I might be looking over a much simpler way and this forum has always shown alot of support to people that are learning

Last edited:
I must admit that I had to google sergers. I would think that you could put an encoder on the end after the linkage. Reading the encoder you could count up/down and reset each rev. Then you would know where to stop.

I know a guy that did some work on a quilting machine. It was a hand machine that his wife was using. He mounted encoders on each axis X & Y. Then he used a little pic chip to calculate the speed and changed the speed of the needle to match. He called it a stich regulator because it would keep the length of the stiches the same. I don't know if this will give you any ideas but I thought it was cool.

My guess is the machine would have to slow down a lot before the prox can even be detected. 15 degrees zone at 3200 rpm... no way. Not for a Slick.

I agree with you, the a prox will not pick up at 3200 rpm. I was going to detect the prox during the slow down seqence. I should be able to start picking this up in the 100-500rpm range. I honestly don't think i need to check this prox if i only allow the machine to turn for x amount of time. If it don't see the prox it will just turn till the timer drops out.