Thread about laptops that support PCMK.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
There has been a number of threads recently about how to get PCMCIA cards in general and PCMK cards in particular to work with new laptops. This issue also interests me, since I have a laptop with a dead PCMCIA port.

I do know that you get a 1784-U2DHP that does the same, but as I see it, the cost of both 1784-PCMK and 1784-U2DHP is at least the same as the laptop itself. So it would mean a significant saving if you could get a laptop with a PCMCIA slot and that it actually works with the PCMK.

Also, I think that there is a problem with getting a PCMK card to work in the latest PCMCIA ports, as the PCMK card is 16-bit.

So I suggest that we post in this thread if we have found a comercially available laptop with a real PCMCIA port that is confirmed to work with the PCMK card.
(similar to the USB-to-serial thread from a couple of years ago).

I dont know of such a laptop myself, so I cannot start.

Dell e5500 has a real PCMCIA and a serial port

Works great with a 1784-PCMK /B

I have not had time to load my CP5512 yet.... I also need to load S7 :)

w7pic.jpg w7pic2.jpg

Hi Jesper,

FYI I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with a fully functional PCMCIA slot that works just fine with my 1784-PCMK series B. It does not have a serial port so I got the 9300-USBS for DF1.

Marc

Seems that e5500 has already been replaced by e5510.
Cryptically, in the specs it says "Cardreaders: 3-in-1-cardreader, 34 mm ExpressCard, chipcardreader or Type I/II PCMCIA (pc-card)".
If I try to buy one, the online dialog says "Latitude E5510 with express card slot". Cannot see how to set it up to include a PCMCIA slot.

e6500 has been replaced by e6510.
In the specs it says "6-i-1-cardreader, PCMCIA and ExpressCard 34". So I guess that this one is OK. Only problem is that it is quite a bit more expensive than what our IT department normally accept to spend.

Hi Again,

Yes, at least my E6500 has both express and PCMCIA slots.

I always explain to the IT folks that this is a tool used for making money. It isnt for email and MSword. Besides, tha damned thing has 10-15k worth of software on it!

Marc

PS the PCMK alone costs that much :)

Thanks GiT. The danish Dell-website looks slightly different. At least I know it can be done, so I guess I would just phone them to be extra sure that I dont goof it up.

"PC-Card" is a newer word for "PCMCIA".

My co-workers report that their Dell Latitude D6500 computers equipped with a Type II PC Card slot and XP SP3 do work with the 1784-PCMK/B.

I have a Dell Latitude D6410 that does not work with the -PCMK/B or -PCD. I have not tried a -PCC or a -PCMK/A.

I keep a Dell ATG620 specifically to run those interfaces, but I am investing in the USB/network interfaces because those work with Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder suite.