Things you don't want to hear on a start up.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I thought I would share this.

http://www.controlglobal.com/articles/2010/InstrumentProjects1012.html?page=fullSOURCE

20. We standardized on the gain and reset setting of 1 used during checkout with tieback filters. (Actual case)

19. We set the controller gains equal to the proportional bands in the old controllers. (Actual case)

18. You mean you didn't label the wires before you lifted them?!?!?!

17. The civil, structural and mechanical schedules have all slipped a week each, but the start-up deadline has not changed; you have 4-1/2 hours to do your install/checkout.

16. We let IT rebuild all your control computers to meet their standards. That's OK, right?

15. Yes it is serial number 1, but it worked great in the lab!

14. We've never seen this problem before.

13. The thermocouple wiring is completely finished. Red is positive, right?

12. This is "Sleepy" Murdock. He's been assigned to work with you as your I/E tech for check out.

11. The integration company has lost too much money on this start-up so they flew home last night. (Actual quote)

10. "We just need the owner to be a little more patient." (Supplier expert, actual quote)

9. Don't bother with a checkout—just light it up! What is the worst that can happen?

8. We didn't do any simulation or testing. We decided that would spoil the adventure.

7. I don't understand. It fit fine on the drawing.

6. "Cool, this is my first time in a real plant!" (supplier expert)

5. I tried to open the valve and nothing happened. Wait! The same valve on the other reactor just opened!!

4. Should the VFD drive smoke like that?

3. I don't understand. I am sure I left all your tools and radios in a box right here.

2. The CEO is on the phone holding for you.

1. Boom!! What was that?!?!

I was on a startup and the owner was pushing to get things going. You know how it is.
His exact words "Just start it up we don't have time for this $h1T!" I asked him 3 time inf ront of others just to cover my a$$. He said just do it already. The gearbox on that 400 HP motor was dry. 5 minutes and we all heard that not so good steel on steel screech. $150k down the drain. I think it was a good trade off for an hour or so what about you?

Green is on, right?
That water's rising awfully fast!
Are you coming back tomorrow?
I thought you were supplying that.
What's your home number?
Why is everyone running that way?

I was on a startup and the owner was pushing to get things going. You know how it is.
His exact words "Just start it up we don't have time for this $h1T!" I asked him 3 time inf ront of others just to cover my a$$. He said just do it already. The gearbox on that 400 HP motor was dry. 5 minutes and we all heard that not so good steel on steel screech. $150k down the drain. I think it was a good trade off for an hour or so what about you?

I would have paid to see the look on that face.

My closest experience like that was when I was a co-op working at a place that made boilers. They had to finish a boiler/superheater project quicker so they haphazardly put two 12 hr shifts together to speed things up. Day shift drained the boiler but forgot to note it on the log, night shift fired up the boiler and promptly burned up the coils. I think that was "only" $40k but that was in 1987 dollars.

Good thing they didn't burn up a superheater coil; those were titanium/stainless alloy...

I would have paid to see the look on that face.

Have you ever had those cold chills down the back of your neck that just makes your hair stand up? Then your stomach just drops like the first airplane ride you had?
He turned white as a ghost.
After he said "Everyone of you sons of B1tCh$ are fired" we had a hell of a laugh.

"power's off, it's on the skid ready to go, get over here and load your program in" phone call, 8pm three hours away.

"Liquidated damages started last week, and I'm holding you responsible." Actual quote, on my first setting foot on a jobsite.

"We don't have power to the building yet, but do what you can for the next few days." Actual quote, after we rearranged schedules and blew-off other customers to get to the site three days after he called.

"I use wire nuts to make all of my analog signal connections - what's wrong with that?" Actual quote, by an ignorant little twit electrician (daddy owned the company).

"Code says it is OK to use white for common. I don't care if it is 120 Volt, it's the limit switch common and I'm not changing it!" Actual quote from the same ignorant twit, just before the engineer threw him off the site.