Wonderware 10.1 Historical Trend Log Interval

Phrog30

I'm not used to Wonderware, and I can't seem to see where I can setup how often tag(s) are logged. For testing, I have two analog tags setup to log data. I have historical logging enabled and set to keep files for 30 days, which is what the customer wants. However, they are not sure how often they want each point logged. For starters I was going to use one second. However, I don't see where this is setup at. On the 16-pen trend I can see where to configure the update time, but on a historical trend, which is what I am using (8-pen trend), there is no place to select this.

I have setup HTUpdateToCurrentTime within the trend window script to update once a second. However, this doesn't affect the data logging, does it?

Can you Wonderware gurus please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
James

As far as I know, Wonderware logs historical data if, and only if, the data in question changes. So there is no need for time-based logging settings.

The HTUpdateToCurrentTime only affects the trend you give it, not the data.

Last edited:
@bjh: That was my thought as well, and if I remember corectly, you could set the change percentage for a log entry. I don't recall if there is any heartbeat logging at all, but I haven't used InTouch since version 7.

As far as I know, Wonderware logs historical data if, and only if, the data in question changes. So there is no need for time-based logging settings.

The HTUpdateToCurrentTime only affects the trend you give it, not the data.

I agree, ive just had a look but dont think you can change the sample rate, only the way it is displayed.

LH

Use the 'Log Deadband' tag parameter

The 'Log Deadband' sets a threshold that must be exceeded before the tag’s value is written to the log file. You can find this parameter as part of the analogue tag parameter in the 'Tagname Dictionary' in InTouch.

See image attached.

Log Deadband.jpg

I'm not used to Wonderware, and I can't seem to see where I can setup how often tag(s) are logged. For testing, I have two analog tags setup to log data. I have historical logging enabled and set to keep files for 30 days, which is what the customer wants. However, they are not sure how often they want each point logged. For starters I was going to use one second. However, I don't see where this is setup at. On the 16-pen trend I can see where to configure the update time, but on a historical trend, which is what I am using (8-pen trend), there is no place to select this.

I have setup HTUpdateToCurrentTime within the trend window script to update once a second. However, this doesn't affect the data logging, does it?

Can you Wonderware gurus please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
James

You can adjust poll timing in your IO Server software, but not in the Historical Trending application.

The 'Log Deadband' sets a threshold that must be exceeded before the tag’s value is written to the log file. You can find this parameter as part of the analogue tag parameter in the 'Tagname Dictionary' in InTouch.

See image attached.

Be careful leaving deadband set to "0"on "I/O Real" tags.
If you leave at "0", it will almost continually log because of the decimal places.
So..... if 2 decimal places is all you need, then set deadband at 0.01.
This can help quite a bit on size of log file for the day.

Last edited:
Phrog? What do you mean you were not up every night for the last 7 years waiting for a reply.....

People really need to look at the dates posted before replying to something. haha