Program download to plc

dscott1962

Hi, hope someone can help out.
We have a Compact Logix 1769-L30 PLC that has been not powered up for a little over two years. We are assuming that it has lost the program after this extended time. We have the original program and need to download it back into the PLC. What is the best and cheapest way for us to achieve this?
The version shown when you open the program in Notepad is V24.00.00. What version of RSlogix would be the minimum required to reinstall the program?

They sell a starter version that works with the CompactLogix only and is your cheapest way.... I think it was around 600-800 last time I check, you will need to contact your local AB dealer to get it

Make sure you tell them what CPU you have and the version

Do you have a copy of the program?
Is the catalog number 1769-L30ER? edit: I see that L30 was an actual controller, but it wouldn't have supported v24, which is why I was thinking that it maybe have actually been a L30ER... And hopefully not a L30ERM.

If the answer is yes to both, I have a L30ER at home, we could try an experiment. I'll load mine up with your program, store it's contents to the SD card, send you the zipped up contents. If it goes as planned, you should be able to plug it in and have it load the program.

Do you have a copy of the program?
Is the catalog number 1769-L30ER? edit: I see that L30 was an actual controller, but it wouldn't have supported v24, which is why I was thinking that it maybe have actually been a L30ER... And hopefully not a L30ERM.

If the answer is yes to both, I have a L30ER at home, we could try an experiment. I'll load mine up with your program, store it's contents to the SD card, send you the zipped up contents. If it goes as planned, you should be able to plug it in and have it load the program.
Yes to both questions.

I do it all the time... and thats a great idea! (not sure why I didn't think of it), you can also flash to a new version if needed

Just when you plug in the card and power it up, it will take about 5 min for the CPU to start and the solid red light turns green (only when you flash it) the first time I did it I thought I bricked the PLC

Since the L30ER came with one, I typically have only used it, not other brands.

The older controllers that used CompactFlash were very picky and were only guaranteed to work with the AB CF card. I'm not sure how the SD card compares. My experience with picky CF cards was that it just wouldn't work at all, it wouldn't do any harm. I'll try it tonight with an off brand card.

You can run a program off an SD card? It automatically picks it up? What if a PLC has one program, and you plug an SD card into the slot with a completely different program? Which one will it run?

Any SD will work or it has worked for the ones I tried

alive15 said:
You can run a program off an SD card? It automatically picks it up? What if a PLC has one program, and you plug an SD card into the slot with a completely different program? Which one will it run?

Kind of... you can store a program on a SD and if the bits are set correctly it will load the program off the card to the PLC it will then 'run' off the PLC memory, it will overwrite the PLC program

We are assuming that it has lost the program after this extended time.

CompactLogix 1769-L3xER controllers are similar to the 1756-L7x platform, and do not require battery backup to retain the user program during an extended power outage.

The Real Time Clock will need to be reset, but the user program is saved in nonvolatile flash memory onboard the controller (not in the SD card) and will be stored indefinitely.

While you're getting some good information about how the SD card works, none of it should be necessary if the program was loaded into the controller in the past.

CompactLogix 1769-L3xER controllers are similar to the 1756-L7x platform, and do not require battery backup to retain the user program during an extended power outage.

The Real Time Clock will need to be reset, but the user program is saved in nonvolatile flash memory onboard the controller (not in the SD card) and will be stored indefinitely.

While you're getting some good information about how the SD card works, none of it should be necessary if the program was loaded into the controller in the past.
That will for sure be our best outcome. We will get the equipment powered up and hopefully it is all loaded correctly. Just curious, what is the repercussions of the real time clock not being reset?