Number of I/O Calculation

Waseem1234

Hi
I am beginer of Allen Bradley PLC.
Is there any one who can answer that how we can calculate the number of I/O's that a PLC can handle?

(I know it is written in Data Sheet of a particular controller, but how that number is calculated, is a question.)

Thank you very much!

Not really quite sure why you would want to calculate it versus read the manual ?

Either way i doubt there will be a calculation published anywhere for this, it's not the sort of metric that's calculated other than by the manufacturer based on numerous reasons (power supply budgets, physical sizes, software, OS, firmware etc. etc.)

Analog outputs tend to be DC power higs and they dissipate a lot of heat, so the number of AO’s is frequently limited due to heat dissipation and available DC power. But that’s a spec by the manufacturer. A power consumption calculation is provided so one stays within limits.

Hi
I am beginer of Allen Bradley PLC.
Is there any one who can answer that how we can calculate the number of I/O's that a PLC can handle?

(I know it is written in Data Sheet of a particular controller, but how that number is calculated, is a question.)

Thank you very much!

Check the manual, develop a spreadsheet for quick checking.

If you can get your distributor to set you up with IAB (Integrated Architecture Builder) it has some tools for building a large system and their Ethernet tool will tell you if your going to be able to get the scan times you want.

If you can get your distributor to set you up with IAB (Integrated Architecture Builder) it has some tools for building a large system and their Ethernet tool will tell you if your going to be able to get the scan times you want.

All well and good if using Allen-Bradley, but not specified by the OP.....

Welcome to the forum.

as with any plc, the manufacturer has tested the plc to see how many I/o the cpu can handle and in what configuration(s). it would be wreckless of them to sell a plc system without knowing what its limitations were.

I recommend that you look in the user manual for various I/o configurations that can be used. if you exceed that limit, look for a larger capacity plc.

regards,
james