Motion group synchronization

tjntjntjn

Hi,
I'm having problem with motion group time synchronization. There are 5 Kinetix drives 5500 in the motion group and each module/drive shows "Synchronization status: not synchronized". I do have time synchronization enable in the controller. What can cause this issue?
The time between controller and in motion module is off by 35-40 seconds. When I change the time/date on the controller it also changes on the motion module but the 35-40 seconds difference still remains.
I've tried to reset/shutdown motion group and individual module but I always get an error "command can not be executed because motion group is not in synchronized state"

Thanks

Just trying some long shots here:

Any chance when the motion group was defined, the PLC time synch was not enabled?
Is there another PLC with its time synch enabled on the network?

I would delete the motions and rebuild the group making sure the time synch is enabled on that PLC first.

The time sync was enable in the controller. No other PLCs on the network. Just 1 and it's 1769-L36ERM.
The machine was working fine and than suddenly stopped with conveyor drive fault. Operator was unable to reset the fault, so he powered the machine down and back up and that's when the issue started. Another thing is that all 5 kinetix drives (one motion group) stay in configuring mode. They go standby-connecting-configuring, again and again.

Is the faulted conveyor drive also configured as an axis in the motion group?

There is this thing with Rockwell, where on first scan the motion group checks each axis one by one, before it is synchronised. If an axis is faulted already at startup, then the motion group will get stuck checking that axis.

That is probably what happned after the operator made that russian reset on the machine.

A resolve to it, is to inhibit the axis which is faulted. The motion group will then skip the check of that axis and get "synchronised".

A resolve to it, is to inhibit the axis which is faulted. The motion group will then skip the check of that axis and get "synchronized".

That didn't help. I've tried to inhibit every axis with no help.
Another thing I forgot to mention is HMI. I don't understand why HMI app would not work properly with Axis module/s being faulted. Anyway, normally when machine starts the HMI app loads up and welcome screen comes on with this info "INITIALIZING - MAIN SCREEN BUTTON WILL APPEAR WHEN INITIALIZING IS FINISHED" and normally after few seconds main screen button pops up but now it never happens. HMI welcome screen stays on and main menu button never shows up. Would that also be time sync issue?

The HMI thing sounds like whoever programmed the machine wouldnt allow the operator to operate the machine untill the machine is ready to do so.. It does not sounds like a standard Rockwell thing...

Did you fix or replace the bad conveyor drive ?
If so, what was the issue with it ?

Did you fix or replace the bad conveyor drive ?
If so, what was the issue with it ?

No, still have the same issue. I change the servo motor but that didn't help. I don't have another drive to replace it but if that's the real issue (bad drive) I might have to get one. Any other ideas besides bad drive that might cause this issue?
Thanks

What is the network topology between the CLX and the servos?

CLX to Switch - servos all plug into switch?
Linear CLX to servo1 to servo 2 to ...
Ring?

If you look at the servos in the IO tree (not the motion group), do any show faulted or not connected?

One thing to try is to download a previously saved copy of the program to the CLX. I once had my CLX drive database get corrupted before - essentially then , the CLX doesn't have enough information on the servos to successfully configure them in the motion group.

Make sure you save a copy of the online program as it is right now, but then download a previous copy.

If you look at the servos in the IO tree (not the motion group), do any show faulted or not connected?

One thing to try is to download a previously saved copy of the program to the CLX. I once had my CLX drive database get corrupted before - essentially then , the CLX doesn't have enough information on the servos to successfully configure them in the motion group.

Make sure you save a copy of the online program as it is right now, but then download a previous copy.

There is no fault on any of the drives in IO tree. I tried downloading the program. I have a copy from 2 years ago when machine came in to our plant but that did not help.

You could try reflashing the firmware on your conveyor drive if that's the one that had the original fault that wouldn't reset. I have seen drives stop working right like this and reflashing cleared whatever type of error it had stuck in its memory.

I have also seen swapped IP addresses cause this type of problem, can you make sure your IP addresses are all set correctly? Also, check the properties on each of your servo drives, sometimes there is something in the log that doesn't show an icon on the drives in the IO tree.

Replacing existing L36ERM with any AB CIP capable PLC controller If you have one,create new project and add drives to motion group, see if big delay still there.

Thank you all for your help. It happened to be controller issue. I ordered new one, replaced it, downloaded the program and the sync issue went away. Machine is running like new. Thanks again.