TIA Portal

nehpets

I have dabbled with TIA for a while (my Siemens experiance is S5), I now have a project to modify a machine that uses a S7-1200 CPU, the program is written in TIA Portal ver. 14, The issue I have is I can auto detect the device, but cannot upload the configuration due to an Anybus comms device connected via Profinet to ethernet, it reports config for the anybus could not be obtained upload aborted.

I can view the program blocks as long as I remain connected to the PLC, but cannot upload them.

Is there any way I can upload the program blocks so I can view them offline, or is there something I'm doing wrong when auto detecting, is there something I need to do once the hardware config has been found?

S7 hareware is a little new to me. (be gentle :ROFLMAO: )

Steve

I take it the original project archive is not available?

Time spent tracking it down is usually well rewarded in saving time attempting to upload projects.

Uploading in Siemens more hypothetical than practical. The "correct" thing to do is to keep track of project archives, and uploading is just there as a backup. It seems like the folks at Siemens HQ are always surprised when people actually try to use the function and it fails for one of a bunch of different possible reasons: wrong Portal version being the biggest, and uploading not being possible for safety PLCs by default is the next biggest issue I see.

1) before you mess with it, see if you can create a backup of the online PLC.

2) As LD said, do everything you can to try to get the project archive.
3) Upload as a new station is the next easiest plan, which seems to be what you're trying. As sigmadelta said, if that fails, make sure you have the GSD file for the anybus device. It won't pull up the HW if it doesn't know what all the devices are.
4) I think there is a way to do a software only upload, but Portal needs to think the PLC is already in your project. You might be able to add an "unspecified 1200", run the device detection, and then while you're online upload from there. If that doesn't work directly, you might be able to upload from the online/offline compare screen.

As mk42 said, I remember uploading from a 1200 for the first time was a pain but eventually got there (first of all I had v15 when I went online I found it was v13 sp1 so I had to download that, then create empty project with unspecified cpu, go online, right click in left pain and click upload)
Ive never needed to do an upload of non siemens hw when I've not had the archive file so cant comment on that though again I imagine gsd file is needed, I definitely wouldn't do any downloading until I was sure I had correct gsd files etc

If the system is full of settings, I'd go on them dbs and copy the actual values as well to a different copy of the program incase ever needed or values to excel or something.
I've seen MRES accidentally performed before now and all settings cleared..

Thanks for everyones input (no pun intended), its given me some food for thought, I have requested the project files from the manufacturer, who appear to be quite forth coming with infomation, so here's hoping.

I just don't understand in all my years in the game, why PLC manufacturers make things so difficult, why not just plug in and upload (with the caveat that you have the correct hardware/software).

Steve

If the system is full of settings, I'd go on them dbs and copy the actual values as well to a different copy of the program incase ever needed or values to excel or something.
I've seen MRES accidentally performed before now and all settings cleared..

In TIA Portal you do what's called a snapshot of the DBs:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109742525/how-do-you-backup-retained-current-values-of-dbs-of-the-s7-1200-s7-1500-when-upgrading-from-step-7-(tia-portal)-v13-sp1-and-restore-them-in-v14-?dti=0&lc=en-WW

This is showing in the case of an upgrade, but the concept is the same for taking and restoring snapshots.