Control logix -change cpu

sandy5020

Hi,

We have control logix system with L71 CPU as it is memory is almost full we are planning to upgrade the cpu to 4MB type cpu so If I change the controller from my project and download everything will be ok or I have to flash the firmware into controller first...expecting the guidance

Thanks
sandy

You will have to flash the firmware first.

Every PLC I have ever bought new needed the firmware flashing.

If you flash the firmware to the same as the L71 you are replacing, and change the controller in your project to match what you have bought, you will be able to download to the new processor without any issues.

Cheers

Mark

As far as I am aware, no.

If you go into your start menu, and go all programs, you will have a folder called FLASH programming tools.

Inside this folder you will find a program called CompactFLASH.

This is what you need to use.

Cheers

Mark

great,,thanks for the info....

Also If I simulate my program in a emulator controller is getting faulted ie watchdog fault...

I am running rslogix 5000 v20 in virtualbox xp

As far as I am aware, no.

If you go into your start menu, and go all programs, you will have a folder called FLASH programming tools.

Inside this folder you will find a program called CompactFLASH.

This is what you need to use.

Cheers

Mark

Just to be pedantic, the program is called ControlFLASH :)

While Mark is right that you need ControlFLASH to upgrade the firmware, rather than RSLogix, you can initiate the procedure from within RSLogix - on the Who Active dialog you can select your processor and click "Update Firmware". It will then launch ControlFLASH.

One other thing - you will need to download the firmware first (if you don't already have it) from the Rockwell website, ControlFLASH doesn't automatically come with all the firmware pre-installed. Although when you installed RSLogix, you can tell it to install some of the firmware versions. Depends which revision you need.

As to your problem with RSEmulate, you might get more responses if you create a new thread and provide a little more detail on the sequence of events that leads to the processor faulting :)

With Version 20, you are able to start a download to a controller with incompatible firmware, even a new controller with no firmware, and a dialog will appear giving you the option of flash upgrading the processor to match the project.

Basically they have integrated ControlFlash into RSLogix/Studio5000.

This is a convenient way of doing things, as the upgrade process will also upgrade any speciality modules (such as motion modules) which have to be at the same firmware revision as the controller. Obviously this will not apply in this case, since you are just replacing the controller and want it flashed to the same revision as the old.

Once you have selected the module(s) you want to flash, it goes away and does it, and once complete, returns you to the download dialog.

One other thing - you will need to download the firmware first (if you don't already have it) from the Rockwell website, ControlFLASH doesn't automatically come with all the firmware pre-installed. Although when you installed RSLogix, you can tell it to install some of the firmware versions. Depends which revision you need.

He should have the firmware files, as he was using V20 with the L71. Presumably he's buying a new L7x controller to replace the L71... He'll be fine, he can just just start the download, and do the upgrading as prompted.

so should i download the firmware from rockwell,,, ??

also can i insert L72 in other slot and download to check whether its working ??

You were already working with the L71 at whatever firmware it is, so you should already have the firmware files ready to flash your new processor to that same firmware revision.

And yes, you can put another L72 into any slot... you can put Any module Anywhere, the backplane is just a communications system...

As daba pointed out, you most likely already have the firmware, having been working with V20 on the old CPU. If you don't, it'll soon tell you when you try to download it, and then yes, you download it from the Rockwell website. You will need to create a (free) account.

You can insert the CPU into another slot - but both CPU's may fault. The original CPU will see another CPU in slot [x] which it is not expecting to see, and the new CPU will see that it's not in the slot it should be. So it will possibly halt both PLC's but if all that you want is to plug it in, flash the firmware, and make sure the program is in there, then yes it's possible to do that.

[edit] daba types faster

Hi thanks

No i will not run both cpus

My intention is to ensure new cpu will run properly so i may stop or remove old cpu and insert new cpu into another slot and download the program by changing the controller

What are the preconditions required for this

Hi thanks

No i will not run both cpus

My intention is to ensure new cpu will run properly so i may stop or remove old cpu and insert new cpu into another slot and download the program by changing the controller

What are the preconditions required for this

Why bother with another slot? You will have to change the slot number in the project to be able to download it....

Just take out your old CPU (make sure you have the program properly backed-up), put in the new one. Then in the project properties, change the controller type to the new one, put the new controller in the same slot you took the old one out of, and start the download....

You will likely be prompted that the firmware is not compatible, and be given the option to flash it... go right ahead and do it, then the download will succeed.

One other thing - you can happily take-out and plug-in modules with the chassis powered-up (unless you are in a hazardous area, of course!!). EDIT : This is only valid for ControlLogix (1756-) modules!!