PLC and Machine Simulation

motomarty

I am looking for a software package that will allow me to accurately simulate a PLC program and it's actions on a simulated machine. I need the ability to have the software package communicate directly with a real PLC. I would also like a package that allows me to easily build a 3D rendition of the machine / process and easily animate the simulation. I have already looked at RSTestStand and Cape VP Link. Any other suggestions?

EMULATION

I have used the RSEmulate 500/5 on many projects to simulate machine operation. It works well on most processors. To flag your inputs simply use the toggle command in the right click button. All timers and counters work. Some higher level instructions wouldn't perform (PID, messages, ect.). The RSLinx has a driver for the emulation package so you can download to the emulator , go online, test mode and write DDE stuff to bring registers into your Excell spreaadsheet. I have emulated alot of math functions for calibration, encoders, scaling analog sensors, ect.

Seems everyone always uses up your time since the control guy is the last one on the machine. He is the one kicking the tires before it goes on the shipping truck. The emulator allows parrallel efforts in design mechanical/electrical and minimizes that precious debug time.

I only no of the RSLogix Emulator. Are there any others?

The Mitsubishi software ‘GX developer’ is normal programming software that has a simulator built in. It is called LLT (ladder logic test)
LLT will also run with GPPwin.

It allows you to test the logic and debug and download the completed code to the plc.
(you do not need a plc to run LLT)
As well as being able to force bits on and off to test the logic, you can write a ‘time-line’ program to simulate the actions of a machine.
Eg X0 on, 2 seconds, X0 off, X3 X6 X7 on 5 seconds X6 off etc.

All these simulation time-lines are saved and can be used again or altered.

It is very good for writing a program with no PLC nearby.

Process Simulation, not PLC Emulation

Hold on guys. Before someone mentions how Concept has a PLC simulator, I'm pretty sure that motomarty is looking for something like Simulink to model his process, not something to run his PLC program on.

Motomarty:

Although I have heard of some process simulation programs (but can't come with any names - I've heard of Simulink, but never used it), I usually just write my own in the PLC (or, if the PLC is full, a spare PLC of the same family that I beg/borrow/steal from the customer/vendor/future project.)

I feel that this gives me much greater control over the how the simulation responds, and allows me to build in scenarios that a canned package might not. You still wind up having to debug both your regular ladder and the simulation ("Oh, yeah - the pressure should drop when this valve is open"), and it's easier to do that if you have complete control over everything.

As far as developing an animated simulation, my projects usually include some sort of HMI or SCADA. Often there is one or more "graphic" screens that are a sort-of reproduction of the P&ID. While I've sometimes gotten fancy and given some of the valves and tanks a 3-D sort of look, it usually doesn't pay in terms of effort vs. benefit ("coolness factor").

But after creating the HMI graphics, I would never then try to create another set of simulation graphics. That's why I simulate in the PLC. The HMI/SCADA then treats the simulated data as if it were real, and if I've done a good enough job, you can't tell the difference.

Just how complicated is your process, anyway?

Allan,
This is exactly what i also do. When a PLC is not too full I write the simulation in some spare files on it, otherwise I use another PLC. I have only done this on AB, but remember to disable the I/O racks if you want to write to I/O from another PLC. i found the easiest way is to use DH+, and message instructions for comms.

automation studio

i think this is the best simulation software. not only it can simulate the actual plc scanning, it can also can show moving object like motor, directional valves, etc. that will help visualize more your design.

PICS

SS Tech have a package called PICS that works the way motomarty described.

I've used an old version (c. 1990) that ran under QNX and simulated A-B remote I/O. The newer version runs under windows and has some graphics and animation capabilities - but I've never used it. There are versions (or drivers) for working with various brands of PLC.

Goody said:
The Mitsubishi software ‘GX developer’ is normal programming software that has a simulator built in. It is called LLT (ladder logic test)
LLT will also run with GPPwin.

Goody did this LLT come with GX Developer. I have GX Developer Ver. 7.11m and it doesn't have any simulation software in it, at least I think it doesn't.

Just curious,
Tim

I dont think it installs by default, you have to chose the option. It is on the CD.
A blue button appears on the button bar. It then works as if a plc was attached, it downloads to the imaginary plc and you can then test the logic.

IRAI, this is a long dead post. The last post (or should I write Last Post, o irony) dated more than 10 years agoo. Furthermore, please read the 'New here' information on top of this page. It clearly states 'no advertizing'. The URL you're providing in combination with your username makes believe you are advertizing.

Regards,

Sorry, I have not seen that this post was old and also sorry for the rules, anyway, we are a small french company and we try to promote our software solution.
Stephane Massart