converting s5 to s7

mrsenolsezer

Hi guys. i have a s5 115u plc and i want to use a S7 for it. These are normal u think there is no problem here is the question i ' ve Simatic manager program but i don't have S5's program or software, but i have the hardcopy of the plc codes also now. What is the easiest way to write the same program in s7 with this conditions what do u advice guys? I need your help and offers..

Note: sorry for my english...

no i don't have it in software i've all the program written document.
Also i've tried to convert a .s5d file but step7 converted it in .awl with 20 warnings and 12 errors and i couldn't use it in another program (maybe i couln't)?

Ýf i try to write all the program with step7 what should i change from the original S5 one?

no i don't have it in software i've all the program written document.
If you can borrow a PC with STEP5, then you can upload the program from the PLC. But there will be no symbols or comments of course.
You can manually add the symbols and comments after the conversion by means of the printout.

Also i've tried to convert a .s5d file but step7 converted it in .awl with 20 warnings and 12 errors and i couldn't use it in another program (maybe i couln't)?
The conversion wont be 100% succesful. You have to do the rest by yourself. It can take some effort including knowledge about how the original program is supposed to work.

Ýf i try to write all the program with step7 what should i change from the original S5 one?
Yikes - there is no way to put that shortly.
Every "error" and "warning" has to be investigated and dealt with specifically.
Hopefully, it will be relatively self-evident what the original programmer was trying to achieve.

Hi
Jesper's put you on the right lines.
If you just want to type out a program for Step7, you should be able to copy the Step5 program but:
  1. It won't make use of Step7's features
  2. Indirect addressing is different. (Other forum members will be able to tell you what else is different)
  3. PBs will be called FCs
  4. FBs can stay as FBs
  5. Likewise DBs
  6. The addressing for I/O will change, I imagine
  7. F's may change to M's (Flags to Merkers?) if your printout uses F's
  8. Other things too!
    [/list=1]

Even if you're typing it bit by bit (no pun intended :D ) you're probably going to have to have a pretty sound understanding of the job that the S5 was doing.

pp

Last edited:
Obviously we (everybody else than mrsenolsezer) cannot know what the program does.

But it is not impossible that the simplest solution is to write a fresh new S7 program with no relation to the original S5 program whatsoever.

It depends, if there are way too many errors and warnings in the conversion, and if you have a good understanding of the functionality of what the program must do, then go ahead and dump the original program.
(I have done that before and havent regretted it).

thanks for your advices; firstable i ' ll try to convert the program also i should barrow a S5 program compiler too but i'll try, if i couldn't becouse of the errors and warnings. I'll write the program my self but it is a little hard work because the machine is very old and a little complex 70 inputs and 50 outputs. I've looked at the hardcopy of the original program and there are some differences with S7 (like parrafin power said). I think i can do that with your help.
Maybe I'll covert the program by myself.
Thanks..