5069 I/O fault

I have the same issue on 2 installs. 5069-IQ16 24vdc input at reference does not initiate the input. Re-routing of the wiring solved the issue. 5069-IF8 input properly shielded had to be re-routed not to induce a fault on the card.

I have discontinued using the 5069 i/o until AB solves the issue.

Rick

I'd be curious to see if Rockwell will consider it an issue or not. The 5069 series of I/O is very different than 1769 I/O in several ways including a lot more diagnostics capability (if I understand it correctly). Rockwell may view it as what would have gone unnoticed in the 1769 (induced noise for example) is visible in the 5069.

FWIW, I wanted to share this about the 5069-OW16. I'm hearing more and more bad things and had another failure on a different project. The OW16 was used to power 120vac ice-cube relays, and it began to fault. The lack of internal snubbing is the issue with these modules, and Rockwell is well aware at this point. According to a tech note, they are being re-developed for May 2019. Until then, I would highly discourage anyone from using it for a 120vac application unless you plan on putting a snubber on each output.

FWIW, I wanted to share this about the 5069-OW16. I'm hearing more and more bad things and had another failure on a different project. The OW16 was used to power 120vac ice-cube relays, and it began to fault. The lack of internal snubbing is the issue with these modules, and Rockwell is well aware at this point. According to a tech note, they are being re-developed for May 2019. Until then, I would highly discourage anyone from using it for a 120vac application unless you plan on putting a snubber on each output.

I'd add that you would need to do the same thing for 24vdc. Overall, I'd avoid this product line and stick to Point IO until they get their act together.

I have not had this issue with 24vdc. But maybe I've been lucky.

I did, and I wasn't. šŸ™ƒ Also with absolutely no 120VAC in the panel at all. Still faulted out the rack until the card was removed. Rockwell took the card back and replaced it with an OB16. No problems since.

Hello! We're commissioning a 5069 PLC, with a remote chassis connected through Ethernet IP, and we had a comms problem with the chassis that shutdowned the plant. After resetting, we have everything back to normal. It seems to be the problem you're describing, and we have 5069-OW16 modules in the chassis with 24v solenoids. Did you have any update from AB regarding OW16 design update? Our modules were manufactured before May 2019, but AB didn't mentioned that topic upon our request.

Regarding the snubber network, it seems that shouldn't be needed with DC, maybe a free-wheel diode in parallel with the solenoid.

Any solution still using the OW16, or just replacing with OB16?

Thanks for the support!

Ale

I've heard nothing further other than AB has acknowledged the issue. I have abandoned using the OW16 and have switched to the OW4I for places that I need relay. That being said, I had not experienced issues using 24vdc with the OW16, only issues with 120v AC. Very disappointed in AB's handling of this issue.

Latest "noise" on this...

Last I remember reading "somewhere?", the 5069-OW16 modules are due an "upgrade" December 2019.

What a shame they had to go back and perform proper noise immunity testing, after not providing suppression, just to figure..."I think we should've added suppression?".

I can only assume, but would also hope, that they're just biting the bullet and providing built-in suppression? That, or else each module will now come in a lead-lined box.

Regards,
George

We've put an individual 24v Power Supply for the two OW16 modules, to see what happens. It's been running like that for 2 days with no problems. I hope it keeps like that!

Another fancy thing we've noticed with the HMI is that the modules started to fail from right to left, with a couple of seconds of difference. And the first module wasn't failed, only the 12 modules at the right...

I too am recently experiencing this problem. here is what it looked like in Studio (see attachment). Rockwell has told me that basically the new PLCs, such as 5069 are more susceptible to noise given their faster clock speeds and therefore noise mitigation techniques must be used on all inductive loads. They said that this has always been best practice, but now its mandatory. So we've essentially been getting away with not following best practices for decades and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Our people are going to install the RC suppressors soon. It will be interesting to see if it solves our problem or not.

4356.jpeg

I have had a module not working but the others are OK and found the modules weren't quite seated to the one before it. The latch on the card wasn't locked completely to the din rail.

Ah, keep us posted!
We got rid of that junk and went to 24VDC.

That was our fix as well. The relay card just won't do what it used to, and we definitely went above and beyond on the noise supression, etc. Just didn't help.