PV+ 7 1200W std, will not connect with PLC

Walks

I have a PV+ 7 std 1200W that will not connect to my PLC and I get a diagnostic error in the HMI,

"factorytalk diagnostics failed to load the message: the providers resource file could not be found"

I'm using factorytalk ME v10, I updated the HMI to v10. The panelview goes though a stratix8000 to a 1756-EN2T and my controller is a 1756-L81E.

CPU (1756-L81E): 192.168.100.105
EN2T: 192.168.38.10
Stratix: 192.168.38.20
PV: 192.168.38.30

I've never encountered this issue before, could be be a firmware issue?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: added picture of error

View attachment 20190320_171306.jpg

Last edited:
Are you able to emulate the PV from your laptop?

Can you successfully ping everything from your laptop?

What's the function of the "CPU", it appears to be in a different subnet but I'm not sure how it fits in the picture"

yes I was able to emulate the PV from my laptop. I can ping anything as long as my laptop ip address matches. As far as why its on a difference subnet, i dont know. Thats just the way they wanted it, there are 2 other EN2T cards in the same PLC rack that also have difference ip addresses, 192.168.36.10 and 192.168.40.10. I'm not worried about those right now, I just want to get one working.

A search for that error message in the RA Knowledgebase returns Answer ID # 1075214 (Access Level: TechConnect)>

The problem could a a bug specific to FTView 10, or it could be an error in an expression in the project that is not being properly identified so it can be shown as a FactoryTalk Diagnostic message.

The diagnostic steps suggested in that document are:

1. Downgrade the PanelView Plus to version 9 and create your *.MER file as Version 9 (you don't have to reinstall FTView Studio).

2. After reboot, stop the application and use the Configuration Menus to restart the application without cycling power.

3. Search for and fix any bad expressions.

When you create the *.MER file, FactoryTalk View Studio gives you the opportunity to create (most) older firmware versions instead of the current one. I think it's a pull-down menu.

Since it's a PV+7 hardware, you probably can only create a *.MER for v7,8,9,10,11.

The Knowledgebase suggested that if the problem is the bug in v10, then you would have to install v9 firmware on the PV+, rather than just running a v9 Runtime on a v10 terminal.

This is one way in which FTView has been remarkably good at forward compatibility; I could use FTView Studio 10 to create a runtime for a v3.2 PanelView Plus built in 2003, or install that old *.MER on a brand new terminal and run it.

O wow, duh...

Thanks Brandon.

I know I've done it before but I kept looking in the transfer utility for whatever reason.

I tried reverting the PV and .MER file back to V9.00 and I'm getting a communication error in the PV diagnostics,

"CIP connection (0) open rejected (error 4d74e2) on route to ControlLogix"

I can ping the 1756-EN2T/D, Stratix8000 and PV (all with ip xxx.xxx.38.xx) when I plug my laptop into the Stratix. I can't ping the Controller but I think that is because it has a different IP (192.168.100.105) and even when I change my IP to match the controller it can't be pinged through the Stratix. Is there something I need to set in the Stratix?

When I plug my laptop into the ethernet cable going directly to the EN2T, I can ping both the PV and Stratix.

I checked the settings on my 1756-EN2T/D, I had it set to autoconfig for port settings and then tried changing it to 100mbs, still nothing.

The firmware on the EN2T/D is version 11 but in my RSlogix program it is listed as 10 and I don't have an option to make it 11. Could this be the issue?

I got it to work, it was a combination of not using the correct version for the PV and .MER file. I think I could have just downloaded the patch for v10 but I'm just going to stick with v9 since it's working.

I also didn't have the correct path. I thought I was supposed to add the controller as the shortcut and then select the EN2T card in the backpane but I was supposed to do the opposite, add the EN2T card as the shortcut and select the controller in slot 0 of the backpane.

Also I somehow managed to disable ethernet comms in the PV, no clue how that happened but it's all working now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for coming back to update. I'm not a fan of the PV+ for this and many other reasons but the new 5000 series looks decent and reminds me of the old Panelview in its simplicity.