Devicenet Error Code 77

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone have any experience with this error code?

Description of this error code in the 1747-SDN scanner manual is as follows: "Data size returned does not match scan lists entry.

Take this action: "Reconfigure your module and change the addressing"

I don't currently own the Device Net software, nor the cable and pcmcia card to connect, but it is on the way.

Any suggestions?

You need RSNetworks Software to configure the devices you have and download it to the scanner (so you need the 1784-PCD, the PCMCIA card to talk to it). This will clear error 77.

A cheaper connection method is the 1771-KFD module but if the PCMCIA card is on the way then it will definitely do the job. Was this an existing system that was working? Regards Alan Case

There could be field device who return different size of data than have mapped for it by DeviceNet tool and you will need it for correction. Can you see Node-number before case 77 from DN-scanner-display ?

Last edited:
Seppo, That was what I was thinking, hence the question "was the system working and something has been changed", ie a field device swapped. Alan

Just to let you know there is a really good tech note available
from the ab knowledge base. Get it and keep it! If you do a lot of dnet it is well worth it.
Error 77 is usually caused by incorrect mapping sizes. However, it can be a ***** to fix sometimes, especially with flex io. A good starting point is to remove the node from the scan list, obtain or work out the correct produced and consumed BYTES, note some vendors give it in bytes others in words, down load to the scanner and try again. If the problem persists try cycling the power to the actual device, just in case it needs a power reset to take the changes.
If you have the eds file so much the better.
By the way you can browse and attach to the devicenet network using the 1747-sdnpt driver in RS Linx via RS Networx. Assume you have 2.4.01 linx by the way

regards
kevin

Alan Case said:
A cheaper connection method is the 1771-KFD module but if the PCMCIA card is on the way then it will definitely do the job. Was this an existing system that was working? Regards Alan Case

yes

seppoalanen said:
There could be field device who return different size of data than have mapped for it by DeviceNet tool and you will need it for correction. Can you see Node-number before case 77 from DN-scanner-display ?

yes, scanner module alternately flashes 77 and then 1 (node number 1 is the only node I have the problem with).

There are only 5 nodes on the system. each node is a Festo CP device. Each Festo CP has 4 Festo Manifold valves connected via Festo Top hats to it.

Since each top hat has 1 word of discrete outputs, I am assuming that each Festo CP device net node would show up as 4 words.

I was able to take node 2 and move it to node 1's location, at it worked. I was able to take node 1, and move it to node 2's location and set it up as node 2, and it worked.

I was unable to set any device as node 1 from any location. The problem followed the node number, not the device.

Is it possible for the Device Net Scan list to have changed?

Is it possible that it might be an eds file thing?

I don't know the complete history of the system, but they have swapped out many of the devices with replacement parts. No one has ever (since the original oem) connected to the device net network with Device Net software.

Because of your description of the problem following the node number and not the device, I would tend to think that the 1747-SDN scanlist has somehow been corrupted, though I have never seen that happen to a running system.

When you get the RSNetworx software, the first thing you should do is upload parameters from all of the Festo devices as well as the scanlist from the scanner. See if it really thinks that Node 1 is configured differently than any of the other nodes.

If you get the 1784-PCD card, see if you can get a Lite copy of the DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer software as well. It's often very useful to see "current conditions" when there's a protocol problem, before you proceed to fixing it. I would love to see the traffic capture from bootup through connection establishment for the 1747-SDN. It would tell us how many bytes input and output the scanner expects to get from each Festo device, and the slave devices' response to that size connection request.

On a non-firmware related note; see if you can check carefully the shield pin on the valve manifold interface and see if it is connected internally to chassis ground. I had a set of valve interfaces once that did just that, so the single-point ground of the DNet shield that I had made at the power supply was trumped by the multiple shield grounds at each valve device, creating a net of ground loops that made for poor communications performance.

Thanks,

Still waiting on my PCD card.

I have received the cable and software already.

The cable connector looks monsterous for a PCMCIA card. I think I might need another connector to attach to the device net network.

The software: It crashed while I tried to install the eds files out of the common directory. Now, all of the eds files are gone. Do I need to reinstall Linx and RSNetworks now?

Hi,

I have used Festo FB11 as a device which have its own I/O 64 + 64, if any changes is done you have to save it to FB11 by pressing the Save button on top of it. Chek you have done so

festo.jpg

When you install RSNetworx for DeviceNet, it both registers EDS files and copies them to the \Rockwell Software\RSCommon\EDS directory with names that are composed of their Identity Object codes.

If you then try to use the EDS Wizard to register the EDS files that are ALREADY in that directory, I'm surprised the software let you even attempt it. You should only have to use the EDS wizard on the FESTO EDS files that are not included during the install of RSNetworx.

Uninstall RSNetworx and RSLinx, reboot, and install them again to fix the damage to the EDS file registry scheme.

The connector on the 1784-PCD cable is a standard DeviceNet open-style five-pin Phoenix Combicon connector. You might have to make a drop cable and connect it at the power supply or at the scanner.

Ken Roach said:
When you install RSNetworx for DeviceNet, it both registers EDS files and copies them to the \Rockwell Software\RSCommon\EDS directory with names that are composed of their Identity Object codes.

If you then try to use the EDS Wizard to register the EDS files that are ALREADY in that directory, I'm surprised the software let you even attempt it. You should only have to use the EDS wizard on the FESTO EDS files that are not included during the install of RSNetworx.

Uninstall RSNetworx and RSLinx, reboot, and install them again to fix the damage to the EDS file registry scheme.

The connector on the 1784-PCD cable is a standard DeviceNet open-style five-pin Phoenix Combicon connector. You might have to make a drop cable and connect it at the power supply or at the scanner.

thanks

I did the following before reading your reply and it worked: uninstalled RSNetworx, repaired RSLinx.

drop cable..... five-pin Phoenix connector....at the scanner..... got it.

thanks again.

I am supposed to receive my PCMCIA card on Thursday, and will be meeting with the customer on Friday. I will let you know how it goes.

P.S. Good thing it is just a water fountain display, huh

P.P.S. How do I get a copy of DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer software? Thanks for the shielding heads up.

:)