GT designer 3 : Datalogging a digital input

Mas01

Hi, I'm trying to log a digital input, which is a float switch X205. However, when I try to enter "203" in the field (with "X" already selected in the little drop-down on the left of it), I get this error message. I didn't have any problems defining/logging the D registers, but this is an X and is giving me problems.
I've also tried "0205" which doesn't work either.

IMG_20210121_152419.jpg

Last edited:
Edit.. FYI...when I click the little up/down triangles, the value in the field jumps in steps of 10, ie 200,210,220,230....280,290,2A0...,2F0,0300,...

I think you will find trending only allows 16 bits as a word so for example X0 = X0 to XF so you have to do boundaries like the 16 way input cards. it does not make sense to trend digitals, if you want i.e. ones/zeros then use the bit i.e. X202 to put say 100 into a register say D20 then use the not X302 to put zero in the register and log that. it will effectively give you a square wave at the intervals it goes from 0 to 100 & back.

I think you will find trending only allows 16 bits as a word so for example X0 = X0 to XF so you have to do boundaries like the 16 way input cards. it does not make sense to trend digitals, if you want i.e. ones/zeros then use the bit i.e. X202 to put say 100 into a register say D20 then use the not X302 to put zero in the register and log that. it will effectively give you a square wave at the intervals it goes from 0 to 100 & back.
Thanks for this. I think I will log X200 for now which should include X205 within it.

I think SOE = Sequence Of Events i.e. time-tagged and -sorted events.

Exactly, trending a boolean gives you a square wave at 0 or 1, not much use if the integer values on your graphs are in the 100's or 1000's, unless GT Designer does something fancy like overlay the boolean on a different y axis against an integer that its linked to which would be more useful ?

For tracking devices on and off an SOE or event log is much easier as its timestamped on and off and will give the delta etc, but that's just my preference.

Not tried it but using X200 will give you the whole 16 bits as a word so what you will get is a waveform i.e. it will take the value of all 16 bits on that card and depending on the bits that are on at any time will give a value, for example if X200, X202, X204 were on then the value would be 13, however, there does appear to be a trend that will log bits but it does not seem to work, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, however, it could be I'm doing something wrong, although it allowed me to configure a bit it would not show on the graph. I still maintain perhaps at this time you use that bit to put a value of 100 into a D register and use the not bit to set it to 0, that way it will give you a true or false graph.

I still maintain perhaps at this time you use that bit to put a value of 100 into a D register and use the not bit to set it to 0, that way it will give you a true or false graph.

I really like this uncomplicated solution. I'll be implementing it for sure. Thanks

you can make the integer any value you like, for example, if you have other trend lines on the graph you could use a value that fits to what you want, also I have not tried it but many trends are often split so that each trend is on a separate area on the graph.

you can make the integer any value you like, for example, if you have other trend lines on the graph you could use a value that fits to what you want, also I have not tried it but many trends are often split so that each trend is on a separate area on the graph.

Just for info, the logged data gets converted to CSV format (or sometimes to a simple text file). I don't actually analyse it, someone else does that on a separate PC that's got Excel on it. The PLC is standalone, no Microsoft software, no internet etc.

Last edited: