Reasonable Timing - Electrical Design (CAD)

First, I do mostly water/wastewater design. On a w/ww system with similar complexity, I would say probably a week for the CAD. That includes elevations with BOM call outs, panel shop fabrication drawings, detailed schematics with rung cross referencing, point to point terminal drawings for the field guys, and a network layout if applicable. Selecting components and compiling the bill of materials would be entirely dependent on whether or not I could use what I have used in the past. My range for this would probably be one day to one week.

We have a purchaser at my company, so I rarely get on the phone with vendors to procure parts. I just email the BOM, and the stuff show up magically. The only time I call vendors about parts is if I haven't used them before, and I want to check lead times before I add them to my BOM.

I too, do what "zlinger" has explained.
Do the leg work on the components, for lead times and technical information.

Then create the BOM and send it off to the purchaser. The purchaser may then spend another day or so gathering quotes, creating PO's and purchasing components.

If you have a comprehensive brief, thats not much more that a days to a day & a 1/2 work for an experienced designer, with a decent package like e-plan etc.

Add more time if, the brief is on the back of a fag packet or you need to start chasing others for clarity.