Multiple IP on single Scalance

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

So... We are delivering a PLC system, with HMI and couple of PROFINET drives. PLC has a single Ethernet interface.

We added a Scalance XC206-2 (after costumer request), they want to connect using FO.

Today I received the attached drawing, and I am in doubt. Is this possible? Right now, our IP range for all the devices is 192.168.1.*, the switch has 192.168.1.1.

Is this where VLAN comes into the picture?

I am very blue when it comes to networking, so please bear with me :).

IP.jpg

The scalance itself would be capable of this, search for configuration of this scalance and the datasheet.
The PLC address and scalance should be in the same range. If not, a router between would be needed to communicate to a different subnet

Hi, thank you.

That is part of the problem, the manual is 334 pages long :). And the Scalance should be capable of routing.

I just wonder how that works with multiple IP ranges.

I'm no expert but if you contact siemens they are helpful.
Primary setup tool software is used to setup the scalance IP and further configuration is done through your web browser by using that IP.
You might even be able to configure the scalance IP through S7

My guess is that the drawing was probably put together by someone who didn't have a clue what they are doing. The first question shouldn't be "can the switch do this?"; it should be "what are they actually trying to do?". The drawing COULD be correct, but I can't understand why they would want it.

A switch (as compared to a router) doesn't really look at the IP, it cares about the MAC address of the device. You can have multiple IP subnets connected to the switch, and the switch will pass data between them commanded. VLANs would be recommended to keep the traffic between the subnets separate, but it isn't strictly required. The IP address of the switch doesn't affect in any way the traffic flowing through it; it is only needed for contacting the switch itself.

An XC200 switch can really only have 1 IP at which it can be contacted. However, the latest FW allows some limited routing/NAT capability, if they want different networks to talk to each other.

Hi, thank you.

That is part of the problem, the manual is 334 pages long :). And the Scalance should be capable of routing.

I just wonder how that works with multiple IP ranges.

Routing is a layer 3 thing, the Scalance is a layer 2 device. The Scalance IP address you mentioned would be the switches management IP, IE if you had a computer in the same IP range connected to it, you could plug the switch IP into a web browser and get to the configuration interface. VLANing the switch just means you are allowing certain ports to pass traffic of different subnets. For instance, ports 1 and 2 could be called VLAN100, and ports 3 and 4 could be called VLAN200. When two different devices in the same subnet are connected to ports 1 and 2 they will talk to each other, and two different devices belonging to a different unique subnet on ports 3 and 4 will talk to each other, but port 1 cant talk to ports 3 or 4 and so on. VLAN is just a way to separate a single physical switch into multiple switches.

The tricky part is trunking. Trunking is where you allow a single port to handle both VLANs traffic, send it to a second switch, and that second switch breaks traffic back out into the correct VLANs. For instance, P1 and P2 on switch 1 are VLAN100 and P3 and P4 are VLAN200. P6 on switch 1 is fiber, so you can long haul to a second switch far away. P6 is your trunk and it handles both VLANs. Switch 2 in some far off location is setup pretty much the same, P1/2 are VLAN100 and P3/4 are VLAN200, P6 is your trunk again. Switch 2 gets both VLANs traffic and sends it to the correct ports. In that way P1 on switch 1 can send traffic to P1 on switch 2, and P3 switch 1 can talk to P3 on switch 2 and they go across the same trunk (P6 fiber) but they don't cross talk.