Great example of programming :)

This would be the programmer

Necromongers-Chronicles-Riddick-c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is a lot more than programming that makes this happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LikxFZZO2sk&feature=youtu.be

I think this would be Peter's feed forward programming of motion
There is modeling, differential equations, numerical analysis, physics, engineering, etc. that must happen BEFORE the programming get started.

Then you make your first try and you find out what you don't know and re calculate taking into account what was learned.\

BTW, feedforwards can be determined by trial and error but it is best if they are determined using a model. The model will start from first principles but be refined using system identification.

Most of the time our customers, the PLC programmers, have no clue what the model is because the mechanical/hydraulic engineers never make a model or even do much in the way of calculations and simulations to even check if the system is controllable. The poor PLC/motion programmer is stuck with "it is what it is" which is sad.

Yes, my hat is off to those Boston Dynamic guys but then the engineers and programmers all work for the same company so there is none if this "good enough" and let the next guy cover for our incompetence. None of this "Fix it in software".