HELM HM1520 Strain Gage module & load cell help

bkottaras

I have to look into a new set up of a load cell fed into a HELM module (1769 series module with a Compactlogix).
I spoke with HELM and gotten no where.
I do have a 10,000 lbs load cell.
Brand: Interface, Model: 3210CDM-10K.
It is set for compression and the data from the calibration sheet reads as follows:
0 lbs-0.000 mV/V
2000 lbs-0.84466 mV/V
4000 lbs-1.69001 mV/V
6000 lbs- 2.53558 mV/V
8000 lbs- 3.381130 mV/V
10000 lbs- 4.22711 mV/V
It maxes out at 4.22711 mV/V.

Bench testing and calibration confirm that the unit is fully functional.
I downloaded the manual from HELM, looked into the programming example but it is geared towards the RS500 series.
Only the Generic setup and the I/O points mentioned for the RS5K series, vague at the most I'd describe it.

I was originally told that this expensive module would be plug n play of sorts.
I'm looking into it now and still need to do the math, conversion, etc.
I'm stuck and need some help.

I can put the module in By-Pass mode, set the toggle switch in "Config" mode and zero the readings when no load is applied to the load cell.
The next step got me big time.
After "zeroing" the toggle has to be put to "Calibration" mode.

When I do, according to HELM we need to induce a "known Load" and match the numbers via the trim pots.
I cannot induce a "known load" without equipment and the unit is already asembled.
Which means we have limited amount of space to do an in-line load cell test and compare readings.

If anyone has any logic or similar set up that are willing to share I would be greatful.
I'm out of time and the project needs to be wrapped up by Thursday so we can do validation.
I have plenty on my plate to finalize the rest of the code and this is a show stopper.
Any advice or hints??

Last edited:
Hi bkottaras
Did you ever get this to work. Their website only mentions the MicroLogix sample code. The HM1525 manual has sample code in appendix A but this doesn't work for the strain gauge module.

Hi bkottaras
Did you ever get this to work. Their website only mentions the MicroLogix sample code. The HM1525 manual has sample code in appendix A but this doesn't work for the strain gauge module.
I aplogize for being late.
That Helm POS module ended up in the trash.
After a lot of phone calls and conversation with most of their tech dept people they did not provide an answer or fix.
I had the Strain Gauge module manufacturer (Interface) to supply a converter (0-10V or 4-20mA) and calibrate the unit with the cell I ended up installing and using.
Since we are dealing with kilos and accuracy isn't as important as dealing with grams and such, it worked with a Compactlogix card.
Even on their CD's supplied with the HELM modules there's no code nor clear instructions on how to make it work with RSL5K.

$1200.00 USD straight in the trash but I still have a full set of hair. Priceless!!!