OT: Cybertruck

If that Lotto ticket in my pocket hits next week, I'm gonna go put down an order for a Zero SR/F motorcycle.

Reviews by jaded motorcycle journalists routinely include the phrase "screamed like a little girl" to describe the result of the low-end torque.

I had an electric-drive Smart car; it drove SO much better than the gasoline ones, but the tiny 60-mile range wasn't enough for me. All I ever carried in it was a small dog and two bags of groceries.

Ford has an electric F-150 prototype, but you've heard almost nothing about it because the gasoline ones are so fantastically profitable. In the first year of production, I expect Tesla to sell 20x more Cybertrucks than ford sells F-150 Electrics.

I don't need (and couldn't park) a pickup truck, nor can my budget manage two Teslas. But if I needed a full size pickup, that's what I would buy.
I'm seriously thinking about getting a used Leaf for daily driver and keep my small SUV or longer trip only. the only thing I can't figure out is the replacement battery cost. In WA, there's no Use Tax on EV, AFAIK.

We are on our second Tesla S and love it. I drive all over southern California going to different customer sites. Because we bought the latest one used from Tesla (16K miles for about $58K) I can go in the carpool lane by myself. Saves me a couple of hours a day. I can go up to LA from Orange county and back twice on one charge. And if I need, there are 4 super chargers (free because we bought it from Tesla) I can use too. 20 Minutes at <20% battery will get me 80% charge.

The big thing with it though is keeping your foot out of it. Yea it will do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, but that takes about 30 miles off the car each time you do it. And going over 80mph too. I try to keep it under 75mph to make two trips.

We have driven it to Dallas a couple of time in the heat with the AC on full. Still just need to stop once in the morning for 20 minutes, and hour for lunch and then 20 minutes in the afternoon. And every stop usually has something like fast food or Starbucks. And there are more super chargers then you need along the way so you can plan the trip very easily (no range anxiety).

So next week they are going to have round two... there are a few things that everyone needs to keep in mind, unless they have the same tires the Tesla will kill any stock truck, Peters dully has a chance but it depends on the curb weight of both trucks, I would like to see it go up against a H2, the heavier truck will win if the tires are equal, just about all of them have enough power to spin the tires on the other truck so its all about traction, you also need to have the Ford locked front differential and in 4 wheel drive.

My money is on the Tesla, the Raptor would have a better chance

Someone in the office here went to extensive battery maintenance training. Something surprising to me that he learned is that vast majority of EV batteries are not recycled because it simply cost too much to do it today.

However, most life-cycle analysis still says EV is more environmental friendly but battery technology really needs to improve in term of capacity and ease of recycling.

I had an unpleasant experience last night stopped at a light next to a lifted RAM 2500 with side pipes and a 6.7 liter Cummins. His exhaust completely flooded my car (a cabin air filter can't do anything about gases) and I literally had to back up in traffic to stop choking.

So one benefit of electric heavy trucks (and semis) is the fact that they do frequently have to drive among us plebians, and might not foul the air quite so badly at the immediate and local level.

Regarding Harry's comments about used Nissan LEAF vehicles:

Nissan hasn't been terrific about replacement and refurbished battery packs. A reasonably priced replacement pack program priced at $5500 in 2014 jumped to $8500 in 2018, and they haven't brought the popular sub-$3000 refurbished pack program from Japan to the USA (they use a Sumitomo plant in Japan).

Maybe if some state's clever governor (HINT F'ING HINT) or municipality gave a little tax incentive (THE PORT OF TACOMA, HINT HINT HINT) to a factory location near a rail and shipping line.... I could go on.

Fenix Power hasn't come to fruition with their leased LEAF packs yet, and they seem to be the most ambitious private vendor out there. Other LEAF rebuild enthusiasts are just watching junkyards for 2014-2017 LEAFs with upper body damage.

The newest Washington State EV sales tax (10% in most places) exemption does apply to inexpensive used EVs. And the EV registration surcharge is a bit of a political football: $150 for a plug-in car, and another $75 for plug-in or hybrid. That's, um, an "incentive".

Back
Top Bottom