EDS files registered ok but no device in the list

AlexNord

Hi, guys
I am trying to add some devices to my RSLogix 20.0 project. When I register the files there is no errors but when I try to add the modules to my I/O tree the modules are not in the list. That's valid for any modules I try to add no matter of manufacturer. It's like RSLogix 5000 is registering the files in one location and then is looking for them in a different one. Any Suggestions?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What type of modules are they ?

EDS files generally provide a minimal amount of identity information for RSLinx to use, to identify modules on the network and know which applets and functions they support.

Modules that go into the I/O tree are either included in the hardware support for RSLogix 5000, or they are added using "Add On Profiles". These are downloaded and installed differently than EDS files.

RSLogix 5000 was the first version of the ControlLogix software to support a new function that combined the two methods; an "EDS-based AOP". These were generally done for third-party modules that needed a little more sophistication than the Generic Module object could provide, but not a full-scale applet like the AC drives or RIO Scanner.

But in my experience, v20 "EDS based AOPs" did not work correctly, and ended up with a round of finger-pointing between RA Tech Support and the product vendor. While I've seen them work properly in more current versions like v24 and v30, if you've got a third party EDS based AOP in v20, it's probably best to ignore it and go back to using the Generic Module object.

Thanks Ken

Frustrating is that the ASi master manufacturer posted on their website a video tutorial on how to integrate the Master into an RSLogix project using the same EDS file. It looks as siple as 1 Register EDS file, 2 right click Ethernet Scanner, 3. new Module, 4 select module from list by manufacturer name (Bihl and Widemann), 5 Done.
But after registering mine does't show any modules from that manufacturer or any other manufacturers or modules that I might have added after the installation of RSLogix.

As it is a new project I also tried to use the Studio 5000 V30 to build it but it is the same result. The CPU is a 1769-L24ER-QB1B and the ASi master I try to add is BWU-3734 from Bihl+Widemann.