Studio 5K Disabling Grace Period License

You know, I have this issue on my desktop in windows. It takes a 20 minutes for my desktop to load. I'm not sure what is happening. There is nothing obvious holding it up.

What brand SSD do you have? I wonder if it could be a driver issue. Are you using EFI ?

Last edited:
I don't remember the brands I have, I just see what's the best deal at Staples. And, once the desktop is fully open I can have RS5K, CAD, FTView, Visual Studio, Excel, and be online working on full a project on 5 monitors without any performance issue, so it's not a slow computer.

Years ago my daughter complained about her desktop taking 20 minutes to boot - nothing made a difference in any setting. I ended up reinstalling Windows and then reinstalling all the programs. Windows 10 calls this Reset, boots right up to the "Hello" screen, but gives you the option of saving your files or deleting them. The first time I did this I thought it was like System Restore or possibly the WinXP "Boot to last good". That was a surprise.

The other thing I do that increases performance, and prevents things like the Windows Update a few months ago deleting all the files in the User\Documents\whatever folders, is have all my documents on a second (hard) drive. I back up that drive to a NAS and if I get a new computer all my files are moved in one drive swap.

Well, the boot times you describe are not normal. What ever the reason I guess it really doesn't matter.

If time is really that crucial, then as you are walking into the building turn on the laptop so by the time you make it to the machine it's ready. Or, have it where you don't even need to look at the code. I have enough on my HMI that I rarely need to open code and look to see what's going on. Honestly, if you have to look at code to see why a machine stopped, then the code is not very good.

Well, the boot times you describe are not normal. What ever the reason I guess it really doesn't matter.

If time is really that crucial, then as you are walking into the building turn on the laptop so by the time you make it to the machine it's ready. Or, have it where you don't even need to look at the code. I have enough on my HMI that I rarely need to open code and look to see what's going on. Honestly, if you have to look at code to see why a machine stopped, then the code is not very good.

That isn't true. Some customers want cheap cheap and that includes minimal diagnostic code. It limits their troubleshooting capabilities, and, yea, they end up calling you, but if they have to cut some cost on the design it is a good place to start.

I.T. departments can really mess up boot times on traveling hardware. Test if the boot time decreases while on the work LAN.

One time, my Active Directory laptop profile was set to something they called "Office PC", it would let you log in if you were not on the office network.

Since then we have our own laptops that are AD free.

Phrog.

That would have to be a very small project where the HMI could display all the DINT's, reals, timer presets, timer accumulators, then might as well add counter presets and accumulators as well.

This project has over 1200 PLC tags, 300 timers and a couple dozen counters. Monitoring all of them on the HMI would probably take at least 12 screens full of "Description: 12345" to go through. And, looking at the tag value itself might not make the problem appear until online and seeing it in context.

Well, I don't deal with dints, reals, timers, etc. That's the old plc or slc way. Almost everything I do is some kind of structure, whether udt or aoi. Ignition makes it very easy to create data types. What I would call a small project would easily have 45k tags.

Why not give the customer more flexibility with the programming? Let them mess around with the grace period, if they mess anything up on the PLC, they will call you and you can charge them more $?

You can compare the program they messed with, with the one you have using the compare programs tool and see the differences pretty quick, fix the issue faster, and make easy $?

BachPhi,

You mean the legality of installing Studio5K on more than one machine?

That is the purpose behind the ($175.00 US)USB dongle from Rockwell. It can be installed on as many PC's as wanted - but there is only 1 dongle license and it will only be activated on one PC at a time.

When the dongle license is used FTAM shows it as used. If the dongle is removed with S5K open the license will still show used until it is put back in the same PC and properly closed, thus being useless on any other PC until corrected.

Legalities aside... I'd like to throw something out there for you; you say you install on customer PC to save time because it takes too much time (5 mins) to get your laptop out.

In the end how much time did you save when you had to troubleshoot the system because someone made modifications on a grace period license?