A bit of Advice on which PLC, Automation Direct?

Edmhydraulics

Hey all, I have a project where I will be re-ramping a test system, there currently is a S7-300 PLC in service with a Siemens HMI. I am leaning towards a Red Lion Graphite 15" HMI because I have used them before and I like them a lot, and there is no learning curve as I have done quite a few applications already.

The PLC doesn't have to be top end, or even Siemens, I dont have the source code anyways so I am going to be writing from scratch. Currently it has Modules for 10 Digital inputs(24Vdc), 6 Digital Outputs(24Vdc), 8 Analog Inputs(8 bit), and 4 Analog outputs(8 bit).

Basically its running a VFD, several flow control valves with the Analog Outputs, monitoring a couple of high speed counters and analog inputs, and a few digital outputs to top it off.

I am looking at the Automation Direct H2-DM1E processor with various input/output modules plus a high speed input module for an amplified flow meter input.

Communication to and from the HMI will be via Ethernet, and it looks like this will work with the PLC. This is not a mission critical or high speed application, its testing of motors so its rather slow time, collect the data and send it off sort of thing.

What do you guys think about the Do-More PLC. I am more of a IEC61131-3 kind of guy, but I can probably do this easy enough with ladder, I downloaded the software from AD and it looks like there are some good functions available. So I am hoping the learning curve wont be too steep.

What do you think?

I have never used the Do-More PLC but I have used the Productivity 2000 and I really like it. I would recommend taking a look at it. AD also has free software for the P2000/3000 too. So you can download it and see what you like better.

I just Used a Click from AD and couldn't be happier. Again free software, and after I wrote the entire project code when I commissioned it I only had 1 problem with it and it was just my first in logic and how I used the math function. Peanuts. I was just happy how easy it was to catch on. Lol

Thanks guys, thats encouraging. Dan you are working then, good to hear. Its been slow the last couple of months for me, but I see some signs of things picking up a bit this fall, not like it used to be, but at least there is some pipe going down the road.

Edm.

Yeah I didn't really sitting too long. I switched employers to a younger Electrical/instrumentation company ( I am a dual ticket) with some small programming jobs in between. And now I have grown their automation side to account for about 50% of my work. Still working on expanding it but I've been busy none the less.. it all started with a fiend of mine saying he had a week's worth of work. 7 months ago. And I've been busy since. Very fortunate.

I'm an electrician, not an integrator, but last fall when I built my first PLC system for a customer with a Do-More I couldn't believe how user friendly they are. With Host having their own forum as well as AD, tech support is always there if you need it. It seems more often than not, the folks that answer the questions posted are usually the guys that had a part in building the Do-More. I don't know how you can beat that kind of support?

So yeah, I would highly recommend them.

The H2-DM1E is a great PLC processor.
I have implemented several projects with them and could not be happier.
Do-more is really good with comms, even allowing custom protocols. Lots of string manipulation available.
Also with the analog I/O everything is mapped to memory automatically. Very easy to set up.
Just search for "Do-more Way" on youtube and there are some great videos on set up.

I have also had only good experiences with the DoMore processors. I think the greatest selling point is the customer support. When you get a free minute, head on over to the Host Engineering website and forum. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the support.
The training videos on youtube are also a great help in getting you of the ground and up to speed quickly.

With that being said, I want to let you know that I haven't used the Productivity series. I'm sure they are a great product too.

I also have had good luck with the DoMore. I think it's an easy powerful little package and when I needed support, I couldn't have asked for better. I found it quite easy to also talk Modbus TCP and control VFD's. It turned into a "go to" PLC for me when Modbus was involved. Also the Red Lion you mentioned is a great tool when doing protocol conversion.

++1

I have never used the Do-More PLC but I have used the Productivity 2000 and I really like it. I would recommend taking a look at it. AD also has free software for the P2000/3000 too. So you can download it and see what you like better.
++1 for the productivity, Real easy to section off program to do tasks. I am not a fan of Clicks, I have been using the DL series doing motion with basic DL5 or 6 and CTRIO-2 with the dl 260 real easy.