connection between RMS controled by PLC and DCS control room

DeltaX

Hello every body,

For power plant station, there are RMS "Reducing & Monitoring Station" controled by PLC Siemens S7, and the main control system for all the plant is DCS.

Now if we need to connect the RMS control system with DCS BOP control room, from my understanding "plz correct to me if I was rong" there are two ways, the first one connect for monitoring and the second one for monitoring and control.

The distance between the RMS control station and the DCS control room is more than 600m.

If we connect the RMS control system with DCS BOP control room
for monitoring and control and maybe for protection either, is it necessary to use hardwired for this connection or fiber obtical can be used for guaranteed.

If we connect the RMS control system with DCS BOP control room
for monitoring only is't possible to connect it by means of serial communication, RS232 MODBUS for example, or we have to use the fiber optical.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanx for any help