ip and mac address

allan_b80

Sorry didn't register first.

What I am using is a GE 90-30 PLC and Cimplicity Machine Edition, not that the Machine Edition has anything to do with it. I was wondering if there is any external program (freeware, shareware etc.) that allowed you to connect with a CAT-5 cable and write an IP address when you only know the MAC address. The PLC would not have any IP or subnet mask. I want to have another way to do the first configuration without a serial cable. Just something to have in my back pocket
Thanks for your help!!!!!

allan_b80 said:
Sorry didn't register first.

What I am using is a GE 90-30 PLC and Cimplicity Machine Edition, not that the Machine Edition has anything to do with it. I was wondering if there is any external program (freeware, shareware etc.) that allowed you to connect with a CAT-5 cable and write an IP address when you only know the MAC address.

Yes, there is. In fact there is software that can search the network and find the MAC IDs of multiple devices too.

allan_b80 said:

The PLC would not have any IP or subnet mask. I want to have another way to do the first configuration without a serial cable.

There is the problem. This feature must be designed into the ethernet device as well as the software that you want to modify the IP address. We do this on our product.

there is a freeware available - ethereal which will help to find the ip address of any plc. search with google & think you will get that.

also there is way to decode the mac address to convert it to ip address. ;)

regards

sevensages - that second feature is something I'd have to see since, as far a I know, there is no relationship between the MAC address (which, I believe, is burned into the Ethernet controller by the manufacturer) and the IP address, which is assigned by the end user according to the network setup.

bernie_carlton said:
sevensages - that second feature is something I'd have to see since, as far a I know, there is no relationship between the MAC address (which, I believe, is burned into the Ethernet controller by the manufacturer) and the IP address, which is assigned by the end user according to the network setup.

Kinda like a VIN number versus a license plate. Technically, you can be identified by either one.

Allen-Bradley has software that will locate devices by MAC address. But, I believe it requires their BOOTIP feature. Not knowing much about it, I don't know if BOOTIP is just an Allen-Bradley name for some generic technology.

AK

akreel is talking about the BOOTP server Rockwell includes with their ControlLogix installs. BOOTP is a genertic technology. Rockwell stuck a pretty wrapper around it to make it easier to use.
To use BOOTP the client devices (the things looking for IP addresses) need to be designed to request BOOTP service. If the 90-30 isn't set up for BOOTP service requests a BOOTP server won't help. Incidentally, I haven't tried this but I THINK Rockwell's BOOTP app will work as a generic BOOTP server. So it will assign IP addresses to anything issuing BOOTP service requests.
Whether you can assign an IP address through the Ethernet port is more of a function of the Ethernet interface you are working with than any external software package. I'm not familiar enough with the GE line to make a statement on that. But I would approach it from the GE side first; that is call you GE rep and see if it can be done at all.

Keith

i have not yet used rockwell's bootp server. but when ever you have received a ethernet controller with out any valid ip address - then what you are supposed to do. thats why sometimes the mac address of the controler comes into the picture. on that point you can decode a ip address to communicate with the device, i.e : convert the last two hexa digits to decimal & all you have. after communicating once you can then be allowed to modify the ip address as you like through unitelway.

regards,

Hey everyone

In case anyones interested a quick lesson in network 101

With an IP address the number 63.144.24.77 is the address of the webserver this forum is on. It is broken down to a network address and then a node address (the actual web servers address). Outside the web servers local network it is only known by the IP address however inside the local network the address that is important is the MAC address.

There used to be a reward offered if two network devices were ever found with the same MAC address, I don't believe this is the case anymore however. Each manufacturer is assigned a pool of addresses to assign from a possible 281 trillion addresses.

On windows if you know the MAC address of the device you ae trying to connect to you can bodge a connection. One of the many protcols in the TCP/IP suite is ARP (address Resolution Protocol) and static entry can be made by typng at the command prompt

arp -s (ip address)000.000.000.000 (MAC Address)00.00.00.00.00.00

then you can connect to the ip address without the device having an actual ip address yet...

Andrew

MSS100

If you cannot convert the mac to IP with the arp command as some devices will only work with Mac addresses you can use an MSS100 decoder which will convert any RS 232 to IP

Temporary IP Address

Cimplicity ME comes with a utility that will supply a GE Fanuc PLC with a "temporary" IP address, check it out, it may be all you need.

In the 'Navigator' window select the 'Utility' tab and double-click 'Set Temporary IP Address'. There is a 'Help' button if you need it.

cimplicity ME

"Cimplicity ME comes with a utility that will supply a GE Fanuc PLC with a "temporary" IP address, check it out, it may be all you need."

I tried that and it doesnt seem to work.