RS Logix 500 - RSS File

Katronite

Hi Guys.

I have looked through the forum about this, and found some post, that not quite did the trick.

So here again:
I´m trying to open an old program *.RSS from 2011. My Logix 500 was V8.4, but due to earlier posts in here, the "not opening" (unexpected fileformat) convinced me to upgrade RS Logix to newest. V11.00.00.

But, still the same error. Unexpected File Format. Can the file be made with an older version, making it impossible to open with a newer version of Logix (V8.40.00)

I can Upload the program, but with no text, so close to impossible to do anything.

Am I looking at an defective .RSS file, as it seems to be completely impossible to open the original file???

Someone have been mentioning something about converting to .PDF. If that is possible, could one be able to import/export rung comments and text from an old file, to the newest upload??

Please advise...

René

Your new ver should open it.

To create a pdf or export comments you need to open the file.

Zip the file and post it here and someone can try to open it. It may just be corrupt.

I have Logix 500 V9.00.00 on a VMware windows XP machine, RSLinx 3.74.00.

RS Logix 500 V11.00.00 is installed on another VMware Windows 7 machine, RS Linx 3.90.00.

Both V9 on XP, and V11 on Windows 7, opens the file I uploaded from the Micrologix 1400, but cannot open the old original, that my costumer got handed on an old CD back in 2011.

I get the same error, its most likely corrupt.

Hopefully you have drawings to help you document the uploaded file.

Unfortunetly this equipment is surpriceingly poor documented, so this will definetly take more time, than I promised the costumer... :(

I have Logix 500 V9.00.00 on a VMware windows XP machine, RSLinx 3.74.00.

RS Logix 500 V11.00.00 is installed on another VMware Windows 7 machine, RS Linx 3.90.00.

Both V9 on XP, and V11 on Windows 7, opens the file I uploaded from the Micrologix 1400, but cannot open the old original, that my costumer got handed on an old CD back in 2011.

Remember that files burned to a CD get a "read only" file attribute set when they are burned to the disk. It would be worthwhile to check file attributes and make sure that the file is read-write enabled.

I couldn't open it with RSLogix 500 either ...

but I did open it up with Notepad - and compared it to a randomly selected unrelated RSS file ...

it's weird ...

and there's reference to a PDF-type structure towards the end ... I've never seen anything like that in an "OK" RSS file before (but then I haven't done a lot of digging around for something like that either) ...

so anyway ...

maybe someone else has time to do the Notepad trick and see if anything else pops up ... I'm short on time ...

good luck with it ...

I couldn't open it with RSLogix 500 either ...

but I did open it up with Notepad - and compared it to a randomly selected unrelated RSS file ...

it's weird ...

and there's reference to a PDF-type structure towards the end ... I've never seen anything like that in an "OK" RSS file before (but then I haven't done a lot of digging around for something like that either) ...

so anyway ...

maybe someone else has time to do the Notepad trick and see if anything else pops up ... I'm short on time ...

good luck with it ...

+1

It looks very different from any .RSS file I have looked at with notepad or word.

Remember that files burned to a CD get a "read only" file attribute set when they are burned to the disk. It would be worthwhile to check file attributes and make sure that the file is read-write enabled.

Both read and write is allowed. The file attribute is A, so everything seems to be in order, just in case the file could be Attribute E - Encrypted.

Is it at all possible, that the program could have been done on a different platform, like RS Logix 5???
I dont have Logix 5 installed, and have no idea if Logix 5 can put out *.RSS files.

Just to be 250% sure, I did double check with both Logix 5000 and Studio 5000, and no surprice, no *.RSS files.

F...... hell. I did a research on the company who did this machine, and found the name of the programmer.
He did a change to this exact machine 2 years later (2013), and for some unexplainable reason, he actually still had this exact program on his laptop, in an old BackUp folder.

I just recieved it by mail, and it works..... With comments and text and everything.... How lucky can one guy be... (y)🍻(y)

Thnx for the help, to you who spend some time trying to solve this issue.