RSLogix 500 emulator communications question

robpaige

Hey folks,

First, I'd beg you to bear with me. I'm getting a crash course in all things PLC through an engineering co-op position I landed, so if it looks like I'm making rookie mistakes, it's because I am a rookie, so please feel free to point those things out. That said, I do have support through the company I am working for, but they also want to encourage me to seek out answers by any means I feel comfortable with, and on past projects (personal and work related) I have achieved good results by discussing challenges with people who are doing similar things, which is what brings me here. Phew, quite a mouthful, huh?

Okay so onto my question: I have a few RSLogix 500 ladder files that my boss wants me to look at, and he wants me to use the RSlogix 500 Emulator so I can see what happens as a scan runs. RSLogix 500 is installed and working just fine, and the emulator appears to be correctly installed. That said, when I load the SLC project file into the emulator, there's just that white background. I configured a communication terminal per the Getting Results guide, but when I go to load the project file into the terminal in RSLogix 500, I get the following error message:

No Response from processor at selected path/node!
DiagnosticStatus failed: 0x4

If you guys could tell me why I'm getting this, I might be able to suss out a solution, or if you know why and how to fix, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

RSLogix Emulate 500 is a little different from other "controllers" in the way you load software into it.

The way I've always done it is to use the Emulate 500 "Open" function to open the *.RSS file.

This lets me also designate the emulated DH485 network node, so that when I create an Emulator driver in RSLinx Classic the processor shows up in the browse. I can start/stop/test the program from the RSLogix Emulate 500 GUI's drop-down box and Run/Prog/Test switches.

The next step is the tricky one; instead of using RSLogix 500 to attempt to "download" to the Emulator, just open the *.RSS file and do a "Who Active Go Online".

Is RSLinx running? If so, there should be a driver there called EMU-500 or something like it. Use RSWHo to see if your emulated processor appears in that driver.

RSEmulate 500 is a fantastic teaching, troubleshooting, and testing tool, I'm glad your boss is making you use it!

The next step is the tricky one; instead of using RSLogix 500 to attempt to "download" to the Emulator, just open the *.RSS file and do a "Who Active Go Online".

When I do that, I can find the terminal I set up, but all I get is:
Diagnosticstatus failed: 0x4

Hello.
I am using the RSLogix Microstarter Lite. I have properly configured RSLinx and Emulator 500. Station no. set at 0. But when I try to go online or upload, I get the error msg "The target node is not a SLC-500 or PLC-5 processor". Pls what could be wrong?