Understanding PIDE

ddeshi2

Hello all, I'm trying to understand the advantages of PIDE over PID. I'm using compctlogix L32E and written all my program using ladder logic. I have used PID loops in my program. One of my friends said that the loop tuning would be easier if I use PIDE (by using auto tuner). So I searched and found an article about PIDE in which it says

"The easiest way to implement a PIDE instruction is to create an function block routine in a program in a
periodic task. The default timing mode for the PIDE instruction is periodic. When the PIDE instruction is
used in a periodic task and in periodic timing mode, it automatically uses the periodic task's update rate as its
delta t update time. All you need to do is wire the process variable analog input into the PV parameter on the
PIDE instruction and wire the CVEU out of the PIDE instruction into the controlled variable analog output."

Can anyone please explain me the above statement? And also does the PIDE require a timer to trigger the loop as we do with PID (RSLOGIX 5000 ladder)? Please help.

Thank you!
Ding.

First you will need a Function Block license and some auto-tuning software but you don't have to use auto-tune.
Second placing the PIDE in a periodic task will trigger the PIDE considering you have all parameters setup. You can also put a PID in a periodic task on a unconditioned rung. You can also use the real time sample tag from your analog module to trigger the instruction.
I find it easier to control all the different modes ProgramAuto, ProgramManual, OperatorAuto, OperatorManuel etc.... of the PIDE instruction using ladder.