Help with testing B&R communications

ACURALEGENDZ

I'd like to build a test rig to test the I/O modules that go inside B&R power panels. The can bus and x2x protocols. I have access to a large number of plcs, drives and other modules. I'd like to build the simplest setup to test these communications cards. We service the B&R HMIs and I've been unable to test the cards that come inside them. Can someone help?

Hi,
I did not really get the idea on what situation you want to test the communication protocols.

Do you receive 'damaged' HMI from 3rd partys where you need to check if they are ok?

Or do you mean you configure yourself HMI and ship them to your costumers?

In general

> all modules in B&R can be supervised by the operating system. In the configuration monitor you can check a IO Tag for Modul supervision, that needs to show "1" for OK (= hardware found and OK).

If you are willing to share more detailed information it would be easier.

BR
BB

I repair HMIs and need to test them outside of the customers environent before sending them back. I have automation studio and I’m able to create test programs to boot up the HMI to test power, display,touch, usb, Ethernet,and rs232 but I’ve been unable to test the communication modules that are sometimes inserted in the HMI.

Hello,

for the CAN I think you could use any CAN slave that you may have in place.

The test routine can do the CAN Interface initialization and than the data transfer with the slave. Like this you should definitely see if there is a problem or not.

X2X I have never used, but I think you would need some X2X IO available, so you can set up the correct hardware configuration. The system will tell you if it encounters problems and of course you may validate IO data that you read and write.

As I mentioned earlier, you have on the modules also the "Modul status" = 1 to see if the operating system detects the module and is error free.

Hi Kris,
actually we have been using this device...

https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-USB.199.0.html

But I think it is the same, whatever should work. Maybe the capabilities of the software are different.

PCAN-View does not offer to many functions as long as I remember i was writing a small program to be capable of filtering and so on - just for my purpose. PCAN View did help a lot in here....

BR
BB