Windows 10 Rockwell Next Gen Fail to Edit

gtg142r

Hi all,

Over the past few months, we have been experiencing an issue with our PCs that I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had experienced. What happens is that at some date (has happened at different timelines on different PCs) our PCs suddenly stop being able to edit "next gen" programs (1756-L8 series and 5069 processors). If we try to build/do online edits/download to one of these processors, we get "Error: Compiler Error. Call technical support." This only happens with Windows 10 machines and has happened with multiple builds of Windows 10.

Does anyone have a workaround for this short of creating a VM on everyone's PCs?

Hi all,

Over the past few months, we have been experiencing an issue with our PCs that I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had experienced. What happens is that at some date (has happened at different timelines on different PCs) our PCs suddenly stop being able to edit "next gen" programs (1756-L8 series and 5069 processors). If we try to build/do online edits/download to one of these processors, we get "Error: Compiler Error. Call technical support." This only happens with Windows 10 machines and has happened with multiple builds of Windows 10.

Does anyone have a workaround for this short of creating a VM on everyone's PCs?

Out of curiosity, did you actually call Tech Support to learn more about the error?

Hello, I have experiencing the same error. Did you solved it?

I cant tell you nothing about the error itself, but from my experience with Rockwell you have to give them at least 6 months to do something about a problem. The first 3 months they try to convince you that there is no problem. Then maybe they take a look at the problem itself. And ... ... maybe they decide to do something about it.

Last edited:
Solution

Yes, we did get a solution worked out. It turned out that on the 8-series PLCs that the compiler launches a virtual drive momentarily but is never assigned a drive letter. Even though our IT department has App Locker without any restrictions, it would not execute due to there being no valid path (due to no drive letter assigned).

Tl;dr: Yes, you have to get your IT department to disable App Locker.

KB: BF15281 suggests that an antivirus software, or Windows AppLocker is blocking the compiler. That article has a TechConnect access level.

edit: it apparently took me 7 minutes to write that one sentence lol