VM ware. Virtual machines sharing files

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just set up a new computer with VMware. I have VMs for different plc manufacturers.
I have always used google drive to store all my files, including plc programs. I would like to save hard drive space, and only have the google drive folder on my root vm, and then be able to open files from other vms.
Does anyone know if this is possible. Ive tried, but cant figure it out.

I think you can do similar on VMware.

Yes you can.

What confused me about the OP question was "and only have the google drive folder on my root vm".

If the "root" VM is active you can map a drive to it via sharing.

I do exactly the same with Dropbox. I have dropbox installed on the host machine, and my dropbox folder is shared with all the VM's and mapped as Z:/. As far as all of my VM's are concerned it's just a network drive with a really fast connection.

Under Virtual Machine Settings/Options Then Shared Folders. Just point every machine at your GD folder and they should all be able to use it.
If any of your machines are Win 7-32 bit they have a tendency to lock files, so be sure to turn off of much as that as you can. Because of the locking I finally created a virtual network adapter in every machine that they all share across. Seems to help with the locking problem.

Under Virtual Machine Settings/Options Then Shared Folders. Just point every machine at your GD folder and they should all be able to use it.
If any of your machines are Win 7-32 bit they have a tendency to lock files, so be sure to turn off of much as that as you can. Because of the locking I finally created a virtual network adapter in every machine that they all share across. Seems to help with the locking problem.

I would love to get more detail how to do this, as I am currently using a USB flash disk to transfer files, but it's such a PITA having to switch the connections between host and VMs

My host is Win7 Pro, and my VM is XP Pro