Ideas needed for small AB controllers to network with other CompactLogix

bhedding024

Good morning. Our plant production processes and machines are currently a mix of SLC 5/03 racks controlling critical systems, and a mix of SLC150's and MicroLogix 1000's on the smaller discrete machines. I'm in the process of developing a plan to update the SLC 5/03 racks to CompactLogix based controllers, but the price point of them precludes me from using them on the smaller discrete systems. I've kicked around the idea of using MicroLogix 1400's or Micro 850's for the smaller discrete machines that might need to have minor integration into the overall plant system. Clearly, the Micro 850 CCW software is not my favorite, but would probably suffice. I'm not convinced the balance of the MicroLogix 1400 or 1100 products are long for this world. Any advice or experience in choosing a smaller platform that works at least somewhat well with the CompactLogix lines? Most of the smaller systems don't currently have HMI's, but might want to bring some data from them into a system of PanelView 7's. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Converting to Micro 850s would require rewriting the program. That's a deal-breaker in my book.

ML1400s are still supported and should be for quite a while.

The new CCW version 11.01 which is suppose to be out this month. It is also suppose to be able to convert between Studio-5000. And it is suppose to feel much more like Studio 5000.

They are also releasing the new Micro870 which will handle a ton more of I/O. Also scheduled for release this month.

FYI.

I didn't even know about the Micro 870 product. I presume it was shown at Automation Fair ?

I hope v11 of CCW is a tremendous improvement instead of a return to Square One.

I personally keep using MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers for small projects because I have so much experience with the RSLogix 500 environment and the SLC-family operating system. I don't have to learn anything new in order to write a simple program.

Depending on IO count, I would use a 1747-AENTR for the SLC replacement, just replace the CPU.

Depending on IO count, I would use one, or several, CPX/CLX with Point IO replacing the MLX.

You need to do a risk analysis (business risk, not safety) to determine what happens if your one CPX/CLX controlling 10 existing MLX machines were to fail.

A L16ER isn't that much dearer than a new MLX 1100. Bear in mind max CIP connections.

Thanks for the help. I think I've talked myself out of the Micro800 series completely. I'm leaning towards the idea of the 1769-L16ER right now just to keep everything we do moving forward in Logix5k. I can justify the cost by using one controller to replace three discrete controllers that are currently running each production line and using distributed IO versus a ton of 14AWG control wire!

Thanks again!