Wire labeling (self-laminating)

phuz

I'm sure to get some dirty looks for posting this in a PLC forum, but I know there's a lot of experience in here. Every now and then I'll build a panel if it's small enough. I have a Brady IDXpert labeler and was using XSL-11-427 self-laminating labels. I noticed that after a bit, they start to come undone at the end of the translucent part and it looks ugly. Are these not the right labels, despite Brady selling them as wire/cable markers or maybe I got a bad roll?

I use XSL-32-427, I think they are the same just different sizes

I dont know of any better but if you put them on right they seem to stay good... not great but good, the trick for us is that getting the cable/wire tight and straight before putting it on and wrapping it tight

Part of the issue with these labels may be due to temperature. If the panel is warm/hot inside, the adhesive is less permanent. Also, if they are handled a bit during application, same thing. When I worked for an OEM machine builder in Detroit we used these a lot, but not all our customers wanted them, maybe for that reason. Nowadays I have our guys use the heatshrink tube style labels; they are a lot more durable. I also switched to a K-Sun labeler; a lot easier to get results from it... sorry Brady!

Last edited:
I use the shrink tubing labels from Brady put them on the wire terminate the wire alien the labels and use a heat gun I don't have trouble with then unwarping and easy to read after the job is done.

I use the shrink tubing labels from Brady put them on the wire terminate the wire alien the labels and use a heat gun I don't have trouble with then unwarping and easy to read after the job is done.

I thought about this. Got a good recommendation for pre-cut transparent shrink tubes for something like this?

Warm temperature isn't the issue. I was wondering if cool temp maybe, because it was 50F in the shop. Also wondering if natural oils in the fingers may do it?

I had a brand new cartridge of the XLS-96-427 which I opened and wrapped on a wire in 70F as a test. The bottom picture shows the label after 3 hours. Top wire is after wrapping the wire in 50F and sitting overnight.

Untitled2.jpg

There is something wrong there. No label should ever start peeling back after that short of a time. I have seen then often peel like that after about a year or so.
But that's one of the reasons I started using the shrink tube. After years of service they are still attached and readable. I have never seen any clear ones though. If I could fins some I would like to try them to see how they work.

Last edited:
I agree, mine start to peel back but thats after several months or longer, I think you have a bad cartridge

Still, even months is horrible. I'm in front of the computer most of the time, so when I get these opportunities to do small panels, I like to take my time and make them look as pretty as I can. I'd want to open the panel 5 years later and still see those labels intact. The heat shrink will add extra time, but it sounds like the option I need.

Still, even months is horrible. I'm in front of the computer most of the time, so when I get these opportunities to do small panels, I like to take my time and make them look as pretty as I can. I'd want to open the panel 5 years later and still see those labels intact. The heat shrink will add extra time, but it sounds like the option I need.

Dont get me wrong, that was extreme conditions... I have some from back when I started 2007 that still look great, I do have some in storage containers that get 140deg + with about 95% humidity that are starting to peel back on some

Dont get me wrong, that was extreme conditions... I have some from back when I started 2007 that still look great, I do have some in storage containers that get 140deg + with about 95% humidity that are starting to peel back on some

Do the all white labels tend to stick better than the self laminating translucent ones?

Do the all white labels tend to stick better than the self laminating translucent ones?

Not sure, we only use XSL-32-427 and they are small part of white with the rest clear.... with as much as they charge for these you would think they would stick good :cool: